Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PRE-OP QUESTIONS to ask your OS.  (Read 1539 times)

shadehawk

PRE-OP QUESTIONS to ask your OS.
« on: April 08, 2005, 04:03:48 PM »
A lot of people ask other's what to ask the doctor before surgery & I ran across this article of the most common questions asked pre-surgery:  

Do you have written materials or videotapes about this surgery that I can review?
How much improvement can I expect from this surgery?
What is your experience doing this type of surgery, and how many have you done?
Are you Board Certified?
Approximately how many of these surgeries are done each year at this hospital? Is there outcomes data available?
What are the risks involved? How likely are they?
What type of anesthesia will be used? What are the risks?
Will I have to stop taking any of my medications before surgery?
What options are available to avoid a blood transfusion?
How long will I have to stay in the hospital?
How much pain is normal to expect and how long will it last? Will I receive medication for the pain?
When will I start physical therapy? Will I need home or outpatient therapy?
Will I need to arrange for some assistance at home? If so, for how long?
What limits will there be on activities - such as driving, bathing, climbing stairs, eating, sex?
How long will I need to be out of work?
How often will I need to return for follow-up visits?
What complications can arise after surgery? What are the signs of complications?
Do you videotape the surgery?

Hope this is of some use to others,  ;)

Shade
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 01:21:54 PM by Shade »

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
Re: Pre-Op Questions to ask your OS.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 04:32:34 PM »
Nice one Shade  ;)

This will really help a lot of people.

Hugs Beth x
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 06:27:46 PM »
Ty Shade !!
It's really useful to have these questions for somehow we always get lost when meeting OS. I don't know why they are so scary ?!

Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 11:16:08 PM »
Shade, you missed one question...........Can I take the spare bits home for the cat!! ;D

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 11:56:56 PM »
Wanna read my list of questions for my OS (I've played phone tag with his PA for four days now):

1. Will you sign off on the form for a temporary disability placard for my car (do I need one?)?

2. Anaesthesia:
    A) What is your preference (given that I know that there are different preferences based on patient position, etc.)?
        1) Neural blocks: advantages/disadvantages
            a) if it's a spinal, will it be unilateral or bilateral?
                (1) if bilateral, will I REALLY be in any state to go home that day?
        2) General: advantages/disadvantages
            a) if no neural block, will you shoot me up with an opiate/opioid before sending me home?
    B) Does your anaesthesia team use bispectral index monitoring (to altert them immediately if there's a chance of anaesthetic awareness)?
    Yes...these are, mostly, questions for the anaesthesiologist...but I want to go into asking him/her armed with your notions.  Can you tell that this is the part that scares me the most?

3)  Does it aggravate the living hell out of you when your patients do absurd amounts of research, such as reading professional journals and then become OCD about all of this?

4)  Should I be braced now for distance walking/cycling?

5)  Back to school in mid-August:
    A) How long will I be in intensive PT (so I can alert the Head to my schedule needs)?
    B) Will I be able to coach the 05-06 basketball season (and scrimmage with the team, etc.)?

6)  Am I going to be able to manage my own post-op dressing changes? ...because my weak-stomached husband most assuredly will not...and I don't think that him hurling all over my incision would be the best way to prevent infection.

7)  Jewelry in the OR: Can it be taped, or does it all need to come off (because I have some rings that won't budge after being on for seven years...and a new piercing)?  I ask because if there's electro-cautery involved in the procedures, you can have arcing...which results in a HIDEOUS burn.  I can get the rings cut by a jeweler if necessary, and look into surgical-grade plastic earing.

8)  NWB for how long?

9)  How long til I can be alone?  Hubby out of town for 2 weeks...trying to set up friends to spend the night, etc.

10) Antibiotic prophylaxis?

11) Blood loss:
      A) Do I need a scrip for an autologous donation?
      B) Do they do normovolemic hemodilution?

12) What is the effect of second-hand smoke on the risk of DVT?

Anything I'm missing in addition to the things on Shade's list (we have some dovetailing, but some of mine are detailed a little differently)?

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 12:16:50 AM »
Jen,

This is an article I pulled off the net.

You cracked me up with this one:  Does it aggravate the living hell out of you when your patients do absurd amounts of research, such as reading professional journals and then become OCD about all of this?

Good one.

Shade

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 12:20:18 AM »
My friend suggested that I should inquire whether I'll ever play the violin again.  Seeing as I can't now...and that's what my husband does for a living (viola, actually, and teaches violin), I quite like it.

Jen  :P
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: PRE-OP QUESTIONS to ask your OS.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 04:06:07 PM »
When is your op scheduled Jensinclair. I am a teacher too and haven't relly thought about September yet!!??
Had my first PT session today and she was FAB. This is for pre op work on my knee and I feel quite positive today. Good posts on questions to ask OS.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 04:39:12 PM »
Heya, Splarkle.  I'm scheduled on 16 June.  Graduation is the 3rd, then a week of faculty meetings/post-mortems on the year.  The last day for faculty is the 10th, and then I have precisely 6 days.  ACK!!!!!

We're spending the weekend working on the house -- we presently have the family room in the attic, so we're swapping that to the second floor...and moving the bedroom to the attic (if it comes to it, I can sleep on the futon) so I can spend most of my time next door to the bathroom.  We've been in the house 6 years, so this is a good excuse to do some wholesale pitching.  It's a BOATLOAD of work...but the family room is going to end up being really cool -- dark green paint, deep gold carpet, lovely jewel-tone drapes.  Who knew that an OS could cause me to redecorate???

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 05:35:35 PM »
Like Shade, I laughed out loud at your question about OCD patients.  When you get the answer, please let us know.  I may have to ask my dr. at my next appt, even though I'm nowhere near scheduling another surgery.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 03:28:42 AM »
Well...the answer is a resounding NO...it does NOT aggravate my OS when patients do research.  He quite likes it, actually.  This confirms that I can trust him completely.  Of course, it's also mighty nice to have a surgeon who gets my dry and quirky sense of humour...and knows how to play along!

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

shadehawk

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 12:08:53 PM »
Jen,

That is how it should be, my belief is that if you do a lot of research and know what he is talking about it sure will save him as well as you time.  These doctors are so busy and appointments seem to be tight - so it really makes sense that a doctor would appreciate a patient that has done some research.

Wish they all felt that way. 

Shade

support