Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PCL JACK BRACE...eh?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Durden

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • G land
PCL JACK BRACE...eh?
« on: April 07, 2005, 08:21:59 PM »
So the os here in MN favors these strange german made super $$$ braces called pcl jack braces, for people who have injuries such as mine.  I tore clean through the acl/pcl, damaged the lateral thing and meniscus pretty bad, and did minor to moderate damage to a whole lot of lesser ligaments surround the knee area.  i go in for an acl/pcl reconstruction in a month or so, but i have been given this strange brace to wear leading up to surgery and for the immediate recovery time after surgery.  has anyone else had to use one of these types of braces?  what kind of results did you get?  did your os talk much of them?  the os im seeing is writing a research paper about the effects of this brace, and swears on them with his life.  he's not a crack either, top rated os in my state.  anyway, what can you say about the pcl jack brace besides it's ridiculous price tag?  peace
"Sadness and nostalgia for an idealized and nonexistant past."

Offline Nikki_1414

• Regular Poster
Re: PCL JACK BRACE...eh?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 08:37:20 PM »
Hi

Sounds like I had a similar injury but not quite as bad, dislocated knee tearing completely through ACL and pretty much the PCL although it is still attached at both ends. Freak injury on the trampoline and amazingly didn't damage anything else but the 2 cruciates.

I'm from the UK but my surgeon swears by braces too, I had a big bulky PCL brace to wear for 8 weeks but couldn't tolerate it for more than 1 hour and had to give up with it - 330 pounds wasted!
Anyway, my physio hates braces and advised me not to wear it and do intensive physio with him instead which worked wonders and I now don't need the operation. I am not saying that this works for everyone and I have been extremely lucky that my knee has never given me any stability problems throughout all of this.

I think the results depend on the individual and there are some people like me who just find them too painful to wear but this may because I didn't get the brace until nearly 2 months after the accident by which time the knee had started to find its own natural balance again.

Anyway, this probably isn't much help but hopefully you'll have more success with the brace and my surgeon swears that they do good in most people.

Good luck with everything
Nikki
21 year old
Oct 2004 - dislocated knee, torn ACL and PCL while trampolining
May 2005 - trampolining again!!!!!

Offline jdenbrok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: PCL JACK BRACE...eh?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:43:45 PM »
This is the only thing I find on this forum about th PCL Jack brace!
I had a traffic accident years ago, the doctors already told me my crossbands were bad, but since I was too young they could not fix that till it was full grown. I never paid much attention to it since because my knee was pretty fine till I got a rugby injury. My lower leg turned to the left. Anyway everything in my knee is pretty ok, accept my pcl is completely wasted. My doctor also just became a fan of the PCL brace. I am the third to use it. My insurance paid everything, never saw the pricetag, just heard it is incredible expensive.
I am wearing the brace now, my doctor advised so and I just see it as training now. After the operation, January 30, I will have to wear it for 6 months day and night.
The website gives quite some information about the brace though. As my doctor explained, the PCL keeps you front leg to not move to the back. This brace takes exactly that position, it pushes your lower leg forward with quite some strength. I am not too happy about the brace, I think it has some designflaws, but not for its function, it does its job well. Just how it sits on my leg is not great, espescially the company that ordered it for me really is bad at fixing these things. Luckily I am close to Germany and had some chances to see someone from the producer. I am also afraid that Nikki might have had such problems. With a few tweaks its already much better. I am awaiting some more adjustments, but this dutch company is so bad it takes a while.
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me more about this whole operation and the recovery with the PCL brace. Did you get this brace Durden?