Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ouch - painful patella fracture - meniscal tear too?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline fern

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
ouch - painful patella fracture - meniscal tear too?
« on: April 06, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »
Hello, What a super forum - just what I need right now.  I fractured my patella (simple undispaced - no surgery) eight weeks ago = immobilised 6.5 weeks but still extremely painful - bending ends in tears - can get to 7o degrees with difficulty but unbending again even worse.  Physio says I'm not yet safe to drive and am desperate to get to work - 25 miles away through the country - bus takes hours.  Worried that I may have a meniscal tear - how long do I have to wait for this to be diagnosed - physio thinks theres a good chance of one - past history - arthroscopic lateral release; plica excision; open meniscal repair; check arthroscopy plus 3 arthroscopic partial meniscectomies ( knee is a disaster area - similr surgery on other knee) - due to see consultant in 3 weeks - should I go back before? Saw consultant 3 weeks ago when plaster removed and he didn't think fracture healed and splinted leg for further two weeks - said he could not rule out internal damage then but wouldn;t be able to tell till fracture healed. Working hard at quads etc.  All comments appreciated.

Offline skarie1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ouch - painful patella fracture - meniscal tear too?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 08:42:05 PM »
Hello - same injury and going on week 6. I just got the xray and the OS said the break has healed but I can hardly bend my knee. I start PT next week. Any suggestions for thing I can do until then? Still have brace also as my quad has shrunk big time. Is your house begining to feel like a jail??? Mine is! I want to drive again!

Offline knee expert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Aussi Boy
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:02:05 AM »
well hi there ..guess what..i broke my patella in 4 places in march this year i had surgery the whol works...as soon as i could walk again with out my cruchers , i was always walking around... i was doing p/t two days a week and he said because i was walking around a lot it helped loosen up my kneecap and i was able to bend it a lot further then i should of been.....i was doing 110 degrees when he said i should only be up to 80 degrees.......so things were going good untill last friday , i had a fall right on that dam knee .yep re broke it again , snaped the wire done all that surgery thing again it realy sux....but all we can do is keep our heads up :-* atleast one day ill be able to surf at a pro level again
brettman

Offline skarie1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »
That is horrible!! Rebroke it??? I would be so depressed. What sort or exercise did they have you do in PT? Anything I can start at home?

Offline knee expert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Aussi Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 02:19:58 AM »
        Skarie1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             hi sorry about the late reply , im in Australia.. at pt the exercises he had me doing was..                                                                                                                                    just bending it as far as you could and hold for a bout ten secounds and straight and same again. this will loosen and warm up the knee to get the blood flowing again. it seems realy simple but it dose work...if it is a bit to pain ful afta a while just ice it.. loose that brace and cruchers start walking without the brace to build up your quad. mine also is a machstick. when you are walking around ok afta a few days ( still limping of course ) standing straight , lean up agaist the wall ( with your back to it ) fold a pillow and put between your knees and do little squats 5 reps of 5 is good twice a day. another good one to do if thats a bit hard .. to get the important musle groups working is balance on your bad leg that is a great one to get started on..i dont no about you but ive got one of those inflateable exercise balls , i sit on it puting my bad leg firmly on the ground and simply just rolling backwards and forwards...i hope that helps you a bit . once again sorry about the late reply , i would love to hear how you have been doing at pt . please write me an email [email protected]     
brettman

Offline dersey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 11:27:07 PM »
Hi all,

I fractured my Patella Jan 30th and had surgery on Feb 2nd. They put a screw in my knee cap to hold it together (Where it will stay permenantly) and wired my tendons back on. I was in a full leg cast for four weeks and an imobilizer 24/7 for another four weeks. I know we all heal at different rates. When I first started to take the imobilizer of at 6-7 weeks it was only in the bath/to do excercises. At that point I could only bend my leg 35 degrees. Anyway from March 20 through April 5th when I started PT twice a day I got in the tub and did exercises. Pulling my leg towards my chest. The water helps loosen up the knee. I would do three sets of ten twice daily. I also tightened my quad 50 times twice daily. When I started Pt on April 5th I could bend 50 degrees. Each week I seemed to go up 10 dgrees. We also added new exercises each week. Knee Experts advice is good but remember to take it slowly. When you start walking, walk around the house where there are no obstacles. I'm four months out from surgery and I can bend my leg 110 degrees. I'm starting to run/jog a little bit, but my left leg is still about half the size of my right leg. When I lift with it I can only curl 10 pounds during my exercises while I can do 70 pounds with my other leg. Remember to exercise all of the muscles quad, hamstring, hip flexor, etc. You need them all for the leg to get stronger. While your sitting there on the couch watch TV take the brace off and do exercises. You can also do what are called active assisted exercises, where you use your other leg to force your bad leg a little further along. When I started I did:

1. Ten knee curls 3x
2. Point foot out to side and do ten knee curls 3x
3. ten leg lifts 3x
4. On stomach do ten leg bends (Hamstring) 3x
5. On Stomach ten leg lifts 3x
6. On side ten leg lifts 3x

That should be a good start. If you get too tired or too sore stop. I hope that helps. If you have and questions e-mail me at [email protected] at this site...Good luck....     

Offline dersey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 11:27:37 PM »
PS Fern go back to your doctor....

Offline knee expert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Aussi Boy
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 02:12:00 AM »
Dersy go back to your doc :o
brettman

Offline skarie1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 12:22:14 PM »
Thanks so much for all the help. I am SO glad I found this site. I went to my first PT and it was disapointing. We took history and measurement after I waited 25 minutes for her to even get to me ( thats after waiting the 20 minutes I was early. We fianlly did two exercises and she only wanted 10 of each of those. She left to check on someone else and I started over with both of them ( what am I doing to just sit there??? ). She joked that she could telll I was an overacheiver and warned me not to do more then 2 resp of each a day ( all you do is squeeze a towel below your and inbetwwen your knees ). To her credit we did try leg lift and that did not happen. zShe did mention that the kneecap was looser then she had seen before. You can push it about an inch either way. Any ideas on that?

Offline knee expert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Aussi Boy
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 01:25:09 AM »
hi..
if your knee cap is loose.. that is realy good ! that is the same with me . my pt says because its loose it means there is not much swelling around the knee cap... how often are you doing pt ? once a week ? if so i bet you will gain 10 degress each week.. trust me i bet you a beer on it :D
its all good .. keep in touch .
Brett :P
brettman

Offline skarie1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 08:16:39 PM »
Brett,
I will take the bet and hope I lose big time  What is good Aussie beer? The right knee is 2 1/2 centimeters bigger so not too much swelling. I go to PT 3 times a week. Tonight is my second one then I can not go tommorow as I have no ride. I tripled the exercise the PT gave me but like I said they were lame only one was good but when I did that I heard a popping sound and then extreme tenderness. I think I just pulled something as I can still move the knee just very tender. Lets hope tomight they give me a bunch of exercises for the weekend.
Karie