Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Have to get surgery again, should I...please help!!!!  (Read 809 times)

Offline downhillskiracer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Have to get surgery again, should I...please help!!!!
« on: March 31, 2005, 06:44:16 PM »
Hey i posted a week or so with some concerns.  I had surgery ago on my "left posterior medial meniscus" because of a football injury and my doctor did a meniscal repair. But i had strong ski race season this year, with some bad falls, and i tore it again. So i am schuduled for surgery april 15th.

1.) Do you think i should get surgery, i mean it mite rip again?

2.) I have a lot going on right now, i am senior in high school and my year is almost over and full of activities. I got a cedar oint trip for phyiscs may 12th, got to make a speech in front of 2000 people early in may, got a "oscar" type award ceremony for seniors, prom, graduation. But my graduation is june 11th. I think if i wait to get surgery after june11th , it is to close to the start of college for full rehab. Then if i wait till next summer, im not sure how busy i will be with college and other stuff. So do you think its best to get it now, even though i will not be in best shape to do all the activites, and not be as involved? And i hear it can get worse if i wait to long.

Im just lookin for some advice and encouraging words!!! Leave some please!!!
-Perry
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 08:32:04 PM by downhillskiracer »

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Have to get surgery again, should I...please help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 06:51:48 PM »
In my opinion, you can always take the time for your health. I am waiting for my surg #4. It sucks, but I want my knee fixed. I want to be able to walk through the zoo with my kids before they get too old. Yes, there is alot I'm missing out on right now but I just keep thinking of all the things I will be able to do, that I haven't been able to do, once my knee is fixed. I know that is probably not what you want to hear, I'm sorry.

I don't like hearing about young people going through things like this. I'm sorry that your are having to do that. I hope that you can get better soon and get back to your life.

Good Luck!!lol ;)

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 07:10:07 PM »
...as a teacher, I'm holding off on surgery until the end of the school year.  I'll be off crutches by the time we start up again in mid-August...and won't be teaching summer school.

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 07:42:48 PM »
I had meniscus surgery 3 weeks before my senior year of high school started.  This was nearly 15 years ago, but I was off crutches and practicing with the marching band a week after surgery.  I planned August surgery in May, because I didn't want to ruin my summer.  My advice - decide when you want to be "slowed down".  If you do it soon, the rest of senior year will be a little different than you planned.  If you wait till school is out, you won't be playing tennis this summer, etc.  But you should have plenty of time to complete most of the rehab before college starts.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)