Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: help me please...  (Read 884 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline raspberrypeaches

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Liked: 0
help me please...
« on: March 31, 2005, 05:26:23 PM »
I made an appointment with my PCP to discuss what may or may not be wrong with my knee.. I want to sound at least half way intelligent while in his office, what are the different parts of the knee that could be injured? what are some common difficulties? What are the different "phrases" one would use in this first visit, in order to eliminate the possibility of some problems right away?

Offline JenSinclair

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 691
  • Liked: 0
  • Canis meus id comedit.
Re: help me please...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 05:42:21 PM »
Wow...that depends on SO much.  The first thing I would do is have a gander at the dictionary on this site. 

Is the problem the result of an injury, or is it a slowly worsening thing?  Does your knee give way?  Lock up?  Just hurt like there's someone in there jabbing at it with an ice pick?  Does it crunch, click, or pop?  Always?  Only when you're going up or down stairs/hills?

LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline goose

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 404
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: help me please...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:40:14 PM »
I would make sure you know the mechanics of the joint and  how it works. is a good site as well.

Parts that could be injured are both soft tisse and bone, so it would all depend on your injury.  Look up words like distal alignment, proximal alignment, Q-angle, chrondromalacia, lateral, medial.  Understand about the  troclear groove, the patella, the tibia, the joint line. Get to know the ligaments and muscle groups of the  quad (VLO and the VMO which is the patella stablizer)

Some phrases that are common in discribing pain are locking (unable to get your knee our of a certain position) buckling or giving way from under neath you (common to strength issues) popping, clicking, crunching  can be used to discribe catrlidge damage. Is your knee subluxing (paritally dislocating). Try to isolate your pain: does bracing help? Is it all over the knee or specific to one area (such as the joint line) Some times a good phrase to uses is that your knee feels like it is "moving over marbles or sandpaper" again if you have soft tissue issues under the patella.  Definately try to isolate if you have pain up or downstairs and where in the knee that pain is.

I find the doc appreciate patients that understand their language and appreciat those who are active in their knee care and recovery, so you are doing the right thing by doing your homework!

Good luck,
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline raspberrypeaches

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Liked: 0
Re: help me please...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:21:05 AM »
k, it is a slowly worsening pain, it gives way at least twice a week, and pops and aches when i straighten it out.. thank you guys.. I'll take a look at the dictionaries you referred me to... I don't know if this has anything to do with anything.. but my ankles roll a lot, I rarely run because of it's randomness... could my knee problem be a result of that?