Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anybody tore the same acl twice?  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Joe G

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Has anybody tore the same acl twice?
« on: March 28, 2005, 07:39:18 PM »
I tore my acl about 4 years ago playing basketball.  I had it operated on and I recovered very well.  The doctor was really happy with the results.  Several weeks ago I tore the same acl again playing basketball.  What was funny is that all I did was cut and jump at the same time and it popped.  I've heard that sometimes they say reconstructed acl's are stronger but this doesn't appear to be the case.  I hate that this has happened again and I'm sure you can appreciate what i'm saying if you went through the surgery before. 

What I'm wondering is where will they take the acl from?  They used my patella tendon the first time but I don't see how they would use the patella again or even the hamstring on the same leg.  I'm guessing a cadaver would be the only option or would it?  I'm still waiting for my appointment with the doctor so I'm trying to get a heads up from anybody that has tore the same acl twice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 07:40:49 PM by Joe G »

Offline Adeline

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Has anybody tore the same acl twice?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:05:39 PM »
I'm just 8months post op from an ACL revision.  I originally tore mine 15 years ago, had it reconstructed (patella graft), stretched it out, over time it shredded with activity, had the same surgeon revise it with a hamstring graft and it didn't really take and is still loose and unstable. 

What I didn't know at the time was how important it is for you to find a surgeon who is competent (does hundreds of acl's per year) which I did, but when doing a revision, it's much trickier with tensioning, bone tunnels, and secondary problems that you need to find a surgeon who is competent in revisions.  The outcome isn't as good as with initially having it done.  And yes, you can have a hamstring graft done on the same leg the second time (if the first was a patella).  They are stronger and more ideal for an older recreational athlete.  I'm only 29.  If you're thinking about college sports, patella is most ideal.  Cadaver grafts are not as strong as your own tissue.  I was reading recently that they can take a graft from your opposite unaffected knee.

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:17:33 AM »
When I had my first ACL reconstruction in 1998 my OS used hamstring tendons from that same leg. Unfornatly I tore that playing Basketball and in 2000 I had an ACL revision using the hamstring tendons from my other leg. That was a difficult rehab because both legs were operated on. I think the choice for graft is between you and your OS and it is best to do what your OS is most comfortable.

It is really important that you make sure your OS is experienced with ACL revisions becuase it is a lot more difficult to do a revision than a reconstruction.

Good Luck.
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline Joe G

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:24:47 PM »
What is the big deal with revisions?  Why don't they take the old torn ligament out and replace it with the new like the first time (if that's what they actually do).  Do they take out your old screws or do they put more screws in?  I guess I'm wondering what the difference is between the recon and the revision and why the revision is trickier.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 01:05:52 PM »
I'm currently almost 4 months out from my second ACL reconstuction on my right knee.  My surgeon will treat second ACL tears the same as the first depending on the mechanism.  He will be very conservative with those people who had a non-contact mechanism since there may be more of a biomechanical issue occuring.  My second ACL tear was due to a cheap shot in a soccer game in which I was tackled and the hit occured right at my knee.  There was enough force that it tore my ACL and MCL but also shattered my brace as well.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 01:42:17 PM »
Soccer girl: I hope your teamates beat the sh%t out of that person.
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 02:25:12 PM »
They attempted too  ;D.  But the ref intervened and ended up handing out 3 red cards to my teammates and one to my coach.  Yet the player who took me out, got nothing, and was in fact praised by her coach. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Adeline

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 03:13:17 PM »
From what I've learned, revisions are trickier because of the new bone tunnel they have to create, like they did in your first one.  The latest research says that bone tunneling is critical to a good outcome.  So, your working around existing bone tunnels, old hardware (sometimes they remove all or some that will interfere).  Secondary factors that set in like patella femoral syndrome (tracking of the knee cap), chondromalacia (suraface changes on the back of the knee cap) and cartilage problems (lack there of) all make revisions trickier because most people who have revisions also have secondary issues occuring and they both feed off of each other so correct tensioning of the graft is essential.  I went to a very well known surgeon at Notre Dame who is the physician for  the football team.  He does hundreds of ACLs per year, and was very misleading to me about the process and success of revisions.  Anytime you go back into a joint, there's a trade off.  There's always something left behind whether it's more scar tissue, etc.  His advice was that revisions were no different than someone who had never had it done before.  After struggling 8months with rehab, I finally consulted at Mayo.  The graft didn't take for whatever reason and my knee is just as loose, and actually feels worse than before I had it done. Whether it was tunnel placement, or the screw became loose, or because I had a reaction/infection to benzoine spray for months (the sticky stuff that makes your steri strips stick better).  They painted quite a different picture about how surgically difficult and rehab a revision is.   

Offline Joe G

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 05:35:25 PM »
Soccergirl,
I hate that this happened to you.  What do you mean when you said he will do it the same as the first depending on the mechanism?  I don't believe that mine is totally tore (partially tore the first one) and it was the result of a turning it on the bball court not contact of any sort.  I also don't believe I have any damage to the other tissues (I didn't the first time and it feels the same as then) so will any of this make for a simpler surgery. 

support