Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Good news on Tibial Osteotomy  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Carolyne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Good news on Tibial Osteotomy
« on: December 24, 2002, 10:45:57 PM »
Wishing everyone a happy Christmas.
I have posted before asking for help and advice and many thanks to everyone who has replied. This is an update.  My husband has arthitis in half of each knee and was bow-legged and in a great deal of pain. He had various different options for surgery suggested to him. At 47 he is too young for a knee replacement. He eventually had a Tibial Osteotomy with internal plate and screws.  This happened a week ago and he spent three nights in hospital. He has a soft brace with velcro fastenings and walks with crutches. Delighted to report that he has had no significant pain from either the knee or the hip where they took the bone from. He sleeps well each night and, apart from the frustration of having to sit still  with his leg up all day, he is fine.  In the last couple of days the bruising has come out, but we are putting lots of Arnica cream on that.  The knee and ankle are slightly swollen but no more than to be expected. The scars are very neat and his leg movement is good and getting better each day.  He is to be non-weight bearing for 3 weeks. Hope this may help anyone who is thinking of having this type of operation. He is having the other knee done in the Spring.
Carolyne
:)
Carolyne
Internal Tibial Osteotomy Dec 2002

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Good news on Tibial Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 07:05:56 PM »
Good to hear the news. (I'm also very glad that he is in a brace and not plaster)
I'm having my arthroscopy on Monday and will begin to get a better idea of whether I will go on to an HTO

BTW, I thought you mentioned a femoral osteotomy? Did he have a bone graft taken from hip/pelvis?

Keep posting with the progress and a Happy New year to you both
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline Carolyne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 07:14:56 PM »
Thanks for message.  Yes we are very grateful he is in a brace and the consultant rang yesterday and said he need only wear it while on crutches and can take it off while sitting and in bed.  Lots of bruising all down the leg but no real pain thank goodness. He tends to sit a lot as it is so painful in the other knee when all the weight is on it.

Good luck on Monday - let me know the results.
CAROLYNE
Carolyne

Offline Carolyne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2003, 07:17:39 PM »
Forgot to add that yes, originally the consultant was going to do a Femoral O but changed his mind the day of the operation, having looked at the X-rays again.
Bone taken from hip - no pain what so ever following that which seems to amaze everyone!
Carolyne
Carolyne

support