Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Skiing injury  (Read 4204 times)

Offline bubby79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Skiing injury
« on: December 24, 2002, 09:13:57 PM »
 :-[   I fell skiing about a week ago skiing in Tahoe and hurt my knee...  Not sure how I fell but just remember my knee "cracking/popping" and intense pain.  My knee swelled up pretty quickly and has been swollen since.  I went to the doctor and he said that me knee was still quite swollen with fluid behind and to the inside of my knee. He still insists on waiting another week before giving me an Ortho consult.   Any ideas on what can be wrong and what I should do???? :-/

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: Skiing injury
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 10:28:52 PM »
Hi Bubby, I was in Lake Tahoe for 8 years before moving here to Idaho, anyway can you walk on it? If not without pain I would get crutches. If you have better things to spend your money on you can go to a thrift store and get them for 5.00. First thing I'm thinking is your Dr. is out of town for a week thats why he said that, I hope Xrays were done, anything except a fracture can wait awhile to get fixed. There's always the ER room. Keep it elevated and iced and stay off it as much as possible. If you need to, call the Dr.s # to inquire what to take for pain. Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline bubby79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 06:33:36 PM »
Hi Teresa, Thanks for replying.  I went to to the ER last thursday 2 days after I hurt my knee cause it was still hurting.  They did X-rays and no fractures.  Went to the doctor 1 week after the injury and he still wants to wait a week before an MRI...  I don't know why but....  He wanted me to try walking on it so I did....my knee buckled on me.  Now it hurts more.  It's still swollen behind my knee and on the medial side.  Hurts to bend and straighten out....  any ideas on what to do?

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 07:17:30 AM »
 ice and elevate as often as you can. allow swelling to go down and remember, most state side os will only go for an mri if they feel surgery is imminent.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 06:29:28 PM »
Rest ice elevate compression and cross your fingers ;)  You've definitely got something going on.  Meanwhile STAY OFF the Skis ;D  Hang in there.
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline bubby79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 01:00:29 AM »
Hello again...

It's been almost 1 month since I fell skiing and injured my right knee(I heard 3 pops when I did it).  I still have pain and swelling in it, still can't strighten or bend it without intense pain.  Still feels unsteady.  My knee throbs intensely most of the time with sharp pain every so often(even when resting).  But for the last 2 weeks, I get tingling in my right leg.  Yesterday, my leg felt like it fell asleep and my foot got cold.....Any ideas on what I could have done???

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2003, 02:22:17 AM »
You need to go to a knee Dr. right away. You are decribing nerve and circulation problems, if you do nothing or wait to long they can become permenent and get worse. Your leg needs circulation to stay alive, get the leg elevated above your heart until you see a Doctor.  Theresa.
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline liga_mod

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
no elevation
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 02:30:09 AM »
Actually if you have a circulation problem you should NOT elevate the leg as it will be harder for the blood to flow to the extremity.
However I certainly agree that you should seek urgent medical attention .
liga_mod

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 10:01:22 PM »
I'll add my voice to those telling you to seek medical care a.s.a.p.  This isn't going to get any better without treatment.  Another set of x-rays may show a fracture or perhaps the first reading was wrong.  Patella factures can be very difficult to spot.  Let us know what happens.
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!

Offline bubby79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 02:31:19 AM »
Okay,

I had my MRI and my family doctor got the results.  He called and told me that my MRI looked good and showed a little arthritis.  Personally, I think that is a load of bull.  My knee was fine until I took the fall skiing.  Still is swollen, still hurts alot, still can't flex or straighten it without intense pain, can't  barely walk on it, and still feels like it will give out on me, and it will be 1 month on the 17th since I hurt it.  This really concerns me.  I will see my ortho for the 1st time on Monday the 20th.  Any ideas on what I should do?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 04:24:22 PM »
I think seeing an OS is the thing to do. Your appointment is only a couple of days away. Make sure you tell him all of your symptoms....write them down so you don't get sidetracked. Just because the MRI was normal doesn't mean there's nothing wrong. Good luck and let us know!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2003, 12:07:27 AM »
In the meantime, if you haven't already been doing this, keep your leg elevated and ice the knee.  Try to stay off your feet as much as possible.  Your symptoms are very much like a fracture, hope it's not!
Good luck.
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!

Offline bubby79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 01:16:02 AM »
Okay.....Saw the OS and left pretty [email protected]#ed off.   I had another X-ray done and it looked a little strange to me.  Not at all like the one I had when I first hurt it.  It looked like the space between the femur and the tibula had decreased.  Anyway, He saw the MRI did a little side to side stress test and said I sprained my MCL.  That was it.  Didn't ask how I fell and didn't do any other test.   I have to say I was pretty disappointed.  So I had the Radiologist say I had arthritis and the OS said it was a sprain and here's 6 weeks of therepy.  Could not explain why it hurt so bad to straighten and flex my knee....just said it was a sprain.  I have another appt on the 17 of February.  I looked at my MRI and some images look like there is a meniscus tear and some don't.  I guess I'm just disappointed because I want to get back to my usual routine and I still can't.  Any suggestions?  I would go for a second opinion but something tells me that OS will tell me the same thing.  Ideas on a brace, this immobilizer has got to go........Any other ideas on what to do?

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 07:34:21 PM »
If you didn't get enough information from your doctor call and ask questions until your satisfied.  Your other option is a 2nd option.  Please, don't allow these medical professionals to short change you with their time or knowledge.  You are a paying "customer" and you should demand your money's worth!  If you are in pain and can't function normally after this much time, something is wrong.

Offline bubby79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2003, 08:38:22 PM »
Well it has been, hmmm, 10 wks since I've injured my knee.  Been doing Physical Therapy for about 5 weeks.  Still have a good amount of swelling in my knee and I am missing between -8 to -10 degrees when trying to straighten my knee out.  Flexing it is not bad, it just depends on the day.  Doctor is still not sure why I still have swelling or can't straighten my knee.  He thinks it's because of my MCL sprain.  Something tells me otherwise.  Anyone have any ideas?  It hurts to walk for more than 5 min, I still can't squat or go up stairs without pain.... ???