Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella Tendon Rupture  (Read 1708 times)

Offline PAN

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Tendon Rupture
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:14:55 AM »
Hi ..

In December I dislocated my knee cap playing football. As soon as I went down I could see that the knee cap was out of way and so moved it back into place myself (.. it went in easily enough !!) At the hospital the x-rays showed that the knee cap was in place and I was put in a brace for 4 weeks, after this I spent 2 months in Physiotherapy and given exercises to do.

To cut a long story short .. the doctors did not correctly diagnose that the tendon had been torn, this seems to be because the first person who saw me wrote in the notes that I was able to lift my leg .. this is wrong and is not something I have been able to do since the incident in December.

Fortunately, my persistance that something was wrong revealed that the tendon was totally ruptured. Not sure why the ultrasound was not carried out right back in December as this clearly showed the issue when carried out 2 weeks ago. Within a week I was admitted to hospital and the tendon reattached. I am now 1 week post op and in plaster, and have a couple of questions:

- the biggest question is .. will I be able to participate in sport to the same extent that I was prior to injury ?

- will the tendon repair and become as strong as it once was ?

- in the months during which I was attending PT, could this have actually totally torn the tendon if it was originally just partially torn ?

- my understanding is that there is a wire now in my knee .. does this mean that I will not be able to have any further MRI scans on the knee ? if so, what alternatives are there to MRI ?

Thanks, PAN
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 11:52:28 AM by PAN »

support