Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: First Meniscus Tear - is this normal?  (Read 756 times)

Offline tess128

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
First Meniscus Tear - is this normal?
« on: March 25, 2005, 08:54:36 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Let me start out by saying this board is full of great information. 

I am hoping to get a little insight into my knee pain.  This is my first knee injury.

My MRI shows a "Simple linear tear postier horn of medial meniscus".  I understand that what I don't understand is if it is a "simple" tear why it hurts so much!

Whenever my knee is bent (walking, sitting etc) it burns like it is on fire.  It also feels like there is a tremendous amount of pressure behind my kneecap.   I can't sleep most nights because it hurts so bad. 

My GP gave me Celebrex for the inflammation & told me to take Extra Strength Tylenol for the pain .  My GP also said to ice my knee in the evening for 20 minutes & 20 minutes moist heat.  I have been doing both for 5 weeks and I can honestly say if anything my knee hurts more now than 5 weeks ago.  I called my GP yesterday to schedule a re-visit with her to discuss this & I was told to keep up the current treatment & she would see me in August.  August?  I think my knee will explode before August.  :o

Would it be absurd/appropriate to visit a OS & ask them for a second opinion on my MRI ?  I am confused I guess....I feel like my GP is just brushing me off but I also don't want to waste a OS time.  I am confused about how serious this injury is.

Thanks everyone for your advice!!

April 05 - Meniscus Removal /LR / Debridement - Right Knee

Offline erind292

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: First Meniscus Tear - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:02:50 PM »
Hi there, so sorry to hear about your knee.  I don't know much about the problem with your knee, however, I don't think it would be absurd to speak with an OS for a second opinion.  What I do think is absurd, is waiting until August to re-evaluate your knee.  An OS specializes in these problems and would be able to provide you with more help and assistance.  You are the one that is in pain and if what they told you to do isn't working, then they should be trying to figure out what else may work.  If it were me, I would be making an appointment with an OS. 
Lots of luck with your knee
Erin
04/05 - LR Right knee

Too many dislocations to count

Offline ljk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 09:52:20 PM »
You should definitely see an OS, after this amount of time and its not getting better...
I had a similar injury Dec04, OS also wanted me to rest it and see if it would not require surgery.
2 1/2 months later I did the surgery and wish I had done it January so I would have saved the time.

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • À fin
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:56:17 PM »
They could mean a simple tear in one of 2 ways as i understand. It is either just 1 straight tear whereas a complex would be multiple tears.

Or they mean simple as in the tear is un the part of the meniscus which has a blood supply. Which would explain the amount of pain you are having!

When yo uare sitting try keeping your leg as straight as you can and when you are trying to sleep keep the leg elevated.

I would also go back to your GP like erind suggested. Some drugs work great for some and others work great for others. What you are on now obviously isnt working for you so get the m to change you to different anti inflammatory and different pain killers.

Scott

Offline tess128

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: First Meniscus Tear - a little update
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 02:09:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for you thoughts.  I appreciate your help.

Just a little update.  Since I had copies of my MRI I took them to a family member who is a GP.  He reviewed my MRI and re-affirmed what the original diagnosis was.  He did clear up that by "simple" they meant a non-complex tear.  He also told me that the size of the tear is significant.  He said easily between 1.5 & 2.5 cm.  I also have a lot of inflammation.  He said surgery to repair the tear would probably be what I can expect.   He did note that it also appears that my patella is slightly off kilter.  Patellfemoral syndrome i believe he said.
He was surprised that my MRI results did not note the above.  Also that the report from the MRI was at best vague (did not state the approx length of the tear etc)  However when he saw who read the MRI he wasn't so surprised anymore.  I guess the gentleman has a "rep" in the medical community as being not so throrough. 

My family member gave me some suggestions on who to see as a OS. 

He also gave me some valuable advice.  When dealing with bones & joints, no matter how insignificant you think your injury is if you hurt go to the ER.   At the time I injured myself I figured it hurt but some ice & rest would make it all better.  Ha!  Guess that's why he's the doctor and I'm not!!! lol   ;D

April 05 - Meniscus Removal /LR / Debridement - Right Knee