Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee pain + MRI translation needed!  (Read 2537 times)

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Knee pain + MRI translation needed!
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:02:06 AM »
Hey Guys :),

I have written on here once before about my knee pain but i just wanted to get some advice. I had hip surgery 10 weeks ago and have come off my crutches in the last week, i have had two arthroscopies on my knee to remove damaged areas of my lateral meniscus (the last one was over a year ago).  However over the last few weeks i have been getting this annoying knee pain, and its not entirely the same pain a felt before. My knee hurts when i kneel and when i go up and down stairs. I am walking with a limp at the moment and my feet turn in, when i try to correct my foot to turn more outwards my knee pain also gets worse. The pain is down the outer side of the knee and also across the bottom of the patella and a bit down the inside of my leg. The pain is bearable and is more of an annoyance than anything, however i am not playing sport at the moment.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice? I am going back to my orthopaedic surgeon on Thursday however i would be grateful for some opinions and replies? :)

Also, when i had my MRI that showed my meniscus damage part of the report stated 'little high signal realting to osteochondral defect of the medial femoral condyle' I was wondering if anyone could explain what that meant? What the hell is little high signal? Does this mean articular cartilage damage?

Thanks, Pip.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 12:57:49 PM by three_screws »
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline thkaa

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee pain + MRI translation needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:46:16 PM »
Meniscus can be damaged without any reason. Once it is torn or hurt, it won't recovery by itself. It should be a good choice to visit your surgeon to have some advice. Mostly you should have an scrope to correct it.
27 yrs old now
10/2000 hurt my knee
10/2003 found ACL broken in 2000
07/2004 ACL recon
01/2005 scope
04/2005 drilling

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 05:16:29 PM »
Defect of the medial femoral chondyle is articular cart. damage. That is what I had after my accident. If that is the case, it will have to be addressed surgically or it will continue to worsen on its own.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 03:33:43 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys, i have already had my meniscus trimmed twice so hopefully that will be okay. The other problem reported is on the other side of my knee though, does it always need surgery? I am really confused because my surgeon never told me about but i presume if its on the MRI report it must be present? My surgeon often doesn't read the radiology reports though and makes deductions about what is wrong by himself... i am still confused about what little high signal means...does it mean to what degree it is? I thought it might be related to damage done to the torn lateral meniscus but since it's on the medial side it must be unrelated?
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 03:41:49 AM »
Hey this is a little off topic but Pip your little profile thing at the bottom says you have bilateral hip dysplsia. I have that also. Do you think it adds to knee problems? I sometimes wonder about it.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 03:55:04 AM »
Hey Daisygirl! Yeah i definetly think that hip problems relate to knee problems. My surgeon said it causes stress on the knee's. I guess the stress of the hips being dysplaced creates more pressure and weight on the knees? My hip was just realligned so the top of the femur is now covered. I am kinda wondering if that is why my knee is hurting because the way i am walking now and putting weight down through my leg would be different than it was before! Have you had similar problems?
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 04:04:54 AM »
your knee pain sounds just like mine.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 12:38:44 PM »
My MRI said that I had a torn meniscus but it was wrong. My articular cart. damage was found when the OS went in to trim my meniscus.
why on earth would your OS  NOT  read the reports? That is odd. If you still have questions, I would ask the OS and if you do not get the answers that you want, get a second opinion. Surgery is not fun so I would not rush into it unless it were absolutely neccessary.
good luck

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 07:04:55 PM »
Pip,   You said you had surgery to fix your hips? Mine were corrected with braces. Well almost corrected. They are still partially uncovered. I am a bit worried about arthritis in the future.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 11:04:16 PM »
Daisy,
My lef hip was fixed with surgery when i was younger because the initial displacement wasn't found at birth like it's supposed to be and wasn't found until i learnt to walk. Are your hips painful? I had my recent operation because my left hip was painful, and because it was 25% uncovered the risk of my getting arthritis was quite high and the operation has a good chance of preventing this. My right hip is not fully coverered either but at the moment it doesn't give me many problems. However if your hips don't hurt there is no point in going through such huge surgeries on a what if basis. It's all too confusing sometimes isn't it!
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 12:01:46 AM »
Ah they caught my hip displacement at birth. I find that my hips do bother me (one more then the other) but I was told the pain is all muscle weakness and that I should try to stregthen those muscles. I do exercise reguarly and find it didn't really do much. WhenI walk for long periods of time it sets off the hips. AH well since surgery is not an option for me I will try the suggested yoga and pilates.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 12:33:49 AM »
If your hips are bothering you maybe you should get a second opinion...?? How far are they out? One of my hips was worse than the other. I was losing mobility in my hip as well... Muscular pain is failry different from bone pain, do you feel it is muscle weakness? If it is causing you trouble its worth getting it sorted, i did a pain diary to see how much my hips ached and how bad over a period of a month before i went with a definite go ahead for my surgery. Maybe you could do something like that to see how much it bothers you, then take that to a doctor to show them how much it bothers you.
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 02:00:17 AM »
Hey Everyone :) I went to my OS and asked about the osteochondral defect :) He pulled out photos of the condyles he took during my last arthroscope and said there was a small graze on one but what the radiology report referred to was a bruising that did not seem to be there when he did the scope. About my knee pain, i have a funny patella that unfortunately has a lot of movement (hence dislocations). Before my hip op i did alot of work tightening and working on my quads and hamstrings for the benefit of my knees which have since deterioted in strength. Now i can finally start my physio which means i should hypothetically be able to make my knee feel stronger again and less painful :) He said he will review it in three months. So everything is good, hopefully that will strengthen it :) I am even going for a swim today :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

support