Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Yup...I'm having another surgery...on my THROAT!  (Read 2505 times)

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • stupid knee!
Yup...I'm having another surgery...on my THROAT!
« on: March 24, 2005, 04:04:01 AM »
Yup, so I'm headed back to the OR yet again...I tell ya, these doctors just can't get enough of operating on me, eh?

This time though, it actually has nothing to do with the knee, rather, I have to get my tonsils and adenoids removed. I've been dealing with my throat since December, but only recently have been focusing more of my attention on it (hey, one medical crisis at a time!). I actually had to go to the ER on Sunday because of my throat, it had been bleeding badly and was killing me but I was just sent home saying I merely had 'strep.' Gee, thanks ER doctor...

I did see an ENT doc a few weeks ago who said I had a fungal infection (ew!) in my throat due to all the antibiotics I had to take for my knee, but apparently he was wrong too. The ENT doc I saw today (who ironically enough IS linked to my OS, apparently my OS operated on this doctor's knee a few years back and they actually operate in rooms next to each other at the hospital lol) was a great guy, I have a lot of confidence in him, so that's really good.

He basically said my tonsils were "very diseased" and if I kept them, they'd just get worse and worse as I aged. Apparently I have holes in my tonsils and had them my whole life, but they're getting bigger as I age. Lovely. Soo, I keep on getting bacteria and such caught in my tonsils, causing all sorts of infections to occur. In short, I have chronic tonsilitis and enlarged adenoids. I also have ulcers on my tonsils (WTF?!). Ouch.

So my surgery is scheduled for May 17th (I'd have it sooner, but I have to take two weeks off from classes, which is not possible right now...so I'm waiting until the semester is over). It's going to suck for my knee, though, because I'm going to have to miss at least two weeks of rehab. Argh. Hopefully I don't lose too much strength in the knee, so I'm going to have to work really hard in the meantime...doesn't help that the knee is still very weak to begin wtih, but I'm def. going to try.

In knee news, I am still trying to regain everything I've lost over the past few weeks in dealing with my throat, and it's been no easy task but I'm getting there. As I posted previously, my left knee (good knee) has really been bugging me, but I'll just take care of that later I guess. I also have to talk to my OS about getting a better brace because the new one he got me last week isn't hacking it. Until then, PT told me to wear the IROM brace full-time (oh how I love THAT! ::) ). Ahh well. Anyways, hope everyone else is doing well and I'm thinking of each and every one of you! :)

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline sweetheart0517

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Yup...I'm having another surgery...on my THROAT!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 04:28:10 AM »
I am soooooooooo sorry to hear your going thru so much junk....but we talk online all the time so im not gonna write in here what I tell you but...there is one thing I have to say............and I think it should be in a "caps moment" haha

YOUR THE BEST *BOFF* IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Lateral release 1-12-2005
Pt for what feels like forever...

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 04:51:34 AM »

oh man!!!   im so sorry about all of this! i know that its gotta be hard but you are soooooo strong!   ive said this before, but i admire you so much for your strength.  youve overcome GREAT things and this is just another unfortunate bump in the road.  you will do great with this surgery...hell youre a surgery expert as of now arent you?! just kidding :P  stay strong and always know we are here for ya!

i'll be here and on AIM to chat if ya need some venting!  you know im always thinking of ya!! 

Stay Strong!!
 ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8)

~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:57:37 AM »
patti,,so sorry the saga continues..u certainly don't deserve all of this as u have been hanging so tough in the past mths..they say easter is the season of rebirth and miracles so hopefully soon u will get some sort of break..even tho we got even more snow last nite..there is a rumor that it is actually spring....i will definitely add u to my list of people to pray for...and i am sending u as many positive vibes that i can manage..

take care of yourself and feel better soon...

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 12:49:36 PM »
Hi Patricia,

Sorry to hear that you have to have yet another surgery.  I hope that it goes really well and that it brings you much needed relief.  If you don't have a voice after your surgery you can always get on kneegeeks and talk with us.  We will be glad to talk with you!!  Good luck and let us know how everything turns out!

Sending HUGS your way!

Casey   :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 04:51:06 AM »
One more tip, I agree with Heather G about the tips, but also the slushes are great also, Even the cola ones . I liked the MR.Misty ones at Dairy Queen Brazier, and Sonic has them as does most of the conveince stores,in fruit or pop flavored. Good luck TAKE IT EASY< NO NO NO CHIPS< PIZZA ETC> I have seen one of my friends almost bleed to death because on the next to last day before she was to be released to soft foods, she ate PIZZA and the clots broke off and she bled and bled and bled. I have seen kids do it over and over and over, AND end up in the ER and have to be rehospitalized and go back to surgery SO BEHAVE YOURSELF  Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR , Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 02:04:25 PM »
Patricia -

I had my tonsils and adenoids out when I was 13 (I know, youth has its advantages) but it really wasn't bad.  My mom thought I had a deviated septum, and figured when I was 18 I could decide if I wanted surgery.  When I was 12 she brought me to an ENT, right before my bat mitzvah.  The man looked up my noise, looked at my mother, and told her he could have her arrested for neglect, based on the infection festering up there.  Said he'd never seen anything to compare.  Basically, I'd been harboring this thing my whole life.

Since you're having the adenoids out too, your sinuses will be draining.  Avoid dairy products - you don't need to produce any extra mucus.  Use a vaporizer, it will help keep your throat moist.  I had no trouble talking after day 1, though.  And within a few days you will probably be up to short outings - I found the sore dry throat to be my challenge in leaving the house - outside air was not as moist as my vaporized room, and I was constantly sipping water.  But don't let people scare you about how painful it will be, etc.  I know it's harder on adults than on kids, but even at 13, I was considered relatively old to be having that surgery.  It probably won't be nearly as bad as you think it will be.  Popsicles, jello, applesauce, bananas, etc. all went down well.  Oatmeal too. 

Good luck with your surgery and recovery, I'm sure you'll be back to yelling at your kids in no time.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 08:54:17 PM »
Patricia,

Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery. 

Stock up on popsicles they'll help you out and make your recovery easier. 

Sending hugs your way.............

Shade

Offline tess128

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 09:21:24 PM »
Hi Patricia,

Good Luck on your surgery!  I suffer from sleep apnea so in January I had my tonsils, adnoids & part of my soft palate removed.  They also outward fractured the tiburnates in my nose.  Ouch!

The surgery was a breeze.  It took about 2 hrs and I had to stay overnite at the hospital.  The worst part for me was the IV to keep me from dehydrating....made me have to pee every 30 minutes!

Post surgery day 1 & 2 I had lots of popsicles & chicken/beef broth.  By day 4 I was eating mashed potatoes, apple sauce, jello etc.  You should be doing great by day 4-5. 
I still have a problem here & there with soda.  The carbonation burns my throat but other than that I am fine. 

The best thing I found to have on hand was lots of bottled water.  Not too cold..room temp. worked great for me.

Best Wishes! 
Tess   :)
April 05 - Meniscus Removal /LR / Debridement - Right Knee

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 07:34:07 AM »
imnotpunk what do you suggest to take when your throat is hurting? I have a sore throat myself now.....no headache or runny nose just my throat hurting like hell and swelling up. What helped you with relief ?

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 12:47:06 AM »
Prof, when my throat is at its worst, I like to drink tea with a little bit of honey in it...it is one of the few things that actually helps me.

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline Ltay00

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 08:45:04 AM »
Good luck with your tonsillectomy. Mine were taken out when I was 18. It's been a while, but I do remember that I had to crush my pain medication, since I couldn't swallow the pills whole. Then I would mix it with juice. I usually tried juices with a strong flavor, such as fruit punch, to mask the medicine's flavor. I also ordered a LOT of egg drop soup from the local chinese restaurant  :) Take care.

Leslie
1 April 05 - TTT,LR, arthroscope rt knee