Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: microfracture success???  (Read 3608 times)

Offline kjg32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracture success???
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:50:26 AM »
I've been reading alot of different posts and it seems that most people have had a bad experience with getting a microfracture!!!   I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a little encouragement and something to look forward to seeing as I'm having this surgery on Thurs!!!!  HELP!!!!! :

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: microfracture success???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 04:30:12 AM »
my second microfracture worked ( first one failed) I dont know how long it will last but that part of my surgery did work. I developed complications so I have had other surgeries since then and I do think that my micro may be wearing a little thin but I am hoping for the best.
Good Luck and do exactly what your dr orders.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 05:43:51 AM »
kjg32,

I just had microfracture two weeks ago and I felt the same way, that there were not really many success stories on this board.  I look at it this way....the success stories don't really have much use for this board so they don't post.  My OS told me there was a 75-85% success rate with the procedure.  Good luck with your surgery!!!  Please let us know how it goes.

Casey  :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 08:33:09 PM »
kjg32,

Casey makes a good point, bulletin boards like this one tend to attract people who are having difficulty. The ones who had successful surgery and recovery are out enjoying their lives, so they have little reason to come here.

I've been participating on the board for over a year now; my knee problem is not related to microfracture. In the time that I've been reading the board, it seems to me that many of the problems people have are related to insufficient education and poor rehab after the surgery. I am pretty amazed at the number of doctors who don't prepare their patients for the extended non-weightbearing period and rigorous and lengthy rehab period that goes along with microfracture surgery. Plus, post-op pain can be quite significant and last for several weeks.    

Here is a link to the microfracture page of the Steadman Hawkins website. Dr. Steadman developed the technique and the post-op rehab protocol.

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_microfracture/overview.asp

I hope this info helps you out. Good luck with your surgery. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Jaci

« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 08:35:13 PM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

support