Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Both knee surgery at one time  (Read 1274 times)

Offline kristy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Both knee surgery at one time
« on: March 22, 2005, 03:36:55 AM »
Hi I have a friend who her husband had a knee replacement on both knees today. Can someone give me some advice to pass on to her so she can help him while he recovers. She is not able to lift under him. So what can she do to best help him . what can she expect fromt he surgeries such as pain, recovery,how long will he be non weight bearing and things like that. Any input will be greatful.

Kristy

Offline kristy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Both knee surgery at one time
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 03:51:00 AM »
I just talked to my friend. Her husband had the surgery on both knees at one timeon Monday. But it took a turn for the worse. Last night he was immediatly put in ICU. The morphine interfered with his heart and his BP was down to 40. And fluid in his chest. and he was also dehydrated.Has any one ever had this reaction from morphine or the surgery.

kristy

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 11:21:19 AM »
Morphin overdose or when it is given IV without being thinned with NaCL itcan stop the breathing (apnoe). Morphin is dangerous, that's why I don't understand so much guys here get it! But that's my 2.5 cents!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Kicker_Kiki

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 07:56:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend and her husband's predicament.  Surgery of any kind carries risks - obviously your friend's husband is experiencing the downside of the surgery now.  I recently had a different surgery and only one of my knees was operated on but I have had some experience with the pain killers that are given through I.V.  While I was on morphine and dilaudid (not at same time...)  my breathing slowed way down and that affected my blood oxygen levels.  I think these heavy duty pain killers can act as sedatives and slow our breathing and heart rates.  If your friend's' husband was in less than perfect health this can lead to some problems.  Another thing is that during anesthesia our breathing and heart rate slows and our lungs, especially the lower lobes can get 'sticky' and fluid can collect.  Pneumonia is a risk of any surgery - it sounds as though the anesthesia and the pain killers might have worked together to cause a problem.  Hopefully he can get the specialized care he needs in ICU to open his lungs and get his pain under control with less pain meds...good luck.  dawn
Patella Alta (L&R)
Lateral Subluxation (R)
Osteoarthritis Grade III (L&R Patella)
TTT  1/25/05 (R only)
Broke Osteotomy/Ruptured Patellar Tendon 1/29/05
TTT Revision 2/5/05 (R only)
LR (L only) 9/30/05
Screws out and Scope R knee 3/15/06
Ex-Avid soccer player

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 04:14:16 AM »
As previously mentioned any surgery has risks, and anesthesia is one of the greatest. I had my heart rate drop to 20 during a surgery, and when they gave me atropine to raise it it reacted by going to 240-270, neither of which is good. THEY did make me have an EKG and a cardio consult, and eventually a stress test, etc, but I survived, and just mention it before surgery. Perhaps, he was bordering on a pneumonia, or is asthmatic, or aspirated. Usually the morphine isn't a big problem as it is easily reversed with Narcan. IT can suppress respirations, and needs to be given in titrated doses to those not accustomed to it. Hopefullly, he is on his way to recovery. I had bilateral scopes done and could not walk LITERALLY, could not get off the sofa to go to the bathroom, it took me 45 minutes to grit my teeth, hold back the screams and finally rise to a standing position. I was the only one of 6 that day that did NOT end up back in the ER and hospital. I just could not face the two hour ride back to the town where it was done. BUT IT WAAS HE**. I do know several who have done well with bilateral TKRs, I would think I would maybe prefer that as one now and one in 8 weeks. Wishing him well, Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

support