Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture - what to expect  (Read 5811 times)

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Microfracture - what to expect
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 08:46:50 PM »
How are all my fellow knee pain buddies?  Thought I'd check in and see if there is any progress or any news!  I'm doing okay here; going to the gym and am able to do spinning class which kicks my butt.  Tried to go back to kickboxing with the plan of marching instead of running and not bouncing at all.  Well, halfway through the class I got discouraged b/c I just wasn't feeling anything going so low like that so I killed myself on the  eliptical in anger and the next day my knee was screaming at me.  :-(  Ah well, live and learn right?  So I've resolved myself to sticking to the spinning class and the bike on my own and strength training.  Missy, I guess I will eventually make my way to where you are (well, hopefully not 7 surgeries!  LOL!) and finally see that I just have to make some changes on how I do things.  I have good days and bad days and try to remember that it could be A LOT worse.  So....that's me today!  

What's up w/all of you?

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
Perfect timing Kristi, I just found out that i have plica syndrome in the GOOD knee. Now they both hurt LOL.
Glad to hear you are doing well, keep up the good work

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Cathy L

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • acl '94, meniscal tear '99, fulkerson/micro fx '04
    • Hope For Marrow
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 09:06:55 PM »
I am 6 months post-op microfracture with fulkerson and 4 weeks post-op screw removal.  What can I say, I was at the ski slopes last night with my snowboard boots on (thank goodness my board was at home).  I did some hiking on the mountain in the snow though.  Going down was really tough.  I am ready (maybe) to start spinning class as soon as my shoulder allows me to reach the handlebars comfortably (I'm also 12 weeks post op on shoulder reconstruction).  I am thinking about trying skiing in a few weeks if the OS says ok at my next visit in 2 weeks (if I don't cheat before that  ;)).  Bottom line - NO MORE PAIN.  My leg is still weak  >:(and I can only leg extention 6 lbs from 90 degrees.  But, the big BUT is that it is painfree  :).  I have officially kicked off my training for the Blood Sweat and Gears 50 mile bike ride in June.  Hope everyone is as happy as I am about a successful (but extremely painful) procedure to get thru.  CATHY :)
acl '94, meniscal tear '99 & '03, fulkerson/microfx '04

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 11:42:23 PM »
Cathy,

Just wondering where in the knee you had the microfracture done?  For patellar lesions or some other spot?

Thanks.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Cathy L

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • acl '94, meniscal tear '99, fulkerson/micro fx '04
    • Hope For Marrow
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2005, 12:14:34 AM »
Heather -

Mine was in the worse possible place - trochlea.  It is a non-weightbearing surface, but it greatly affected by flexion.  When I was "unscrewed" from the fulkerson, the scope showed the lesion filling in really nice.  There was a little bit of trimming they had to do.  I was in a CPM for 6 weeks post-op and had to get on the bike at high RPM primarily to keep the new growth smooth with flexion.  It was not until after I got my screws out that I realized this was all worth the pain - 5 months of pure AGONY !  I still have some issues, but no pain.  I have been encouraged to never run again because I still have a large lesion on the kneecap itself.  I don't know why they never did anything with that.  But to run again is part of why I had the repair.

Cathy
acl '94, meniscal tear '99 & '03, fulkerson/microfx '04

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2005, 02:36:53 PM »
Monthly update time.....how is everyone doing?  My knee hurts A LOT these days. <sigh>  I saw OS on Thursday and he told me I'm doing too much at the gym.  Basically all I can do is the bike and eliptical.  Even walking on the treadmill hurts.  He said when pro athletes have this done they miss a whole season.  Is that supposed to be comforting?   ::) I guess he was just saying to give it time and be patient which is very hard to do.  My knee hurts when I wake up in the morning and sometimes almost like "sticks" and I have to pop it out.  What's up with that now? 

How are the rest of you doing? 

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline kimmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2005, 12:13:34 AM »
Hi Kristi,

I'm pretty much in the same place you are -- except that I didn't start PT until 3 weeks ago so my leg is still very weak.  Like you, I'm stiff and gimpy in the morning.  I was cleared by my OS to go back to the gym at the start of January, but that's when I realized that I needed PT  (my balance was terrible, I couldn't squat, kneel, etc. and figured that there would be very little to do at the gym and at a good risk for making matters worse).  Fortunately, I had already convinced my husband to buy a gym quality recumbant bike.  So, I'm working on strengthening the quads and calf muscles and balance at PT and working out on the bike at home.  I was doing well until I felt a sharp pain in the knee while doing quad excersices at PT on Friday.  Now, I'm feeling bone pain and we've had to back off on the exercises.  Today when the PT was poking around my knee I could tell the exact spot where the microfractures had taken place -- yeow.  My PT seemed concerned, but I figure that given the nature of the surgery I'm not surprised.  It is heartening to hear what your OS said to you. Still, the slow progess is very frustrating.  I see my OS in 2 weeks.  I'm going to tell him off for not prescribing PT until I went to my family doctor and asked her to intervene. 

Kim

Offline dadsgirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2005, 03:59:49 AM »
Hi Kristie,
I hope you r doing ok....I sent you a message with the story of my last surgery and my new doc. Did you get it???     Best Wishes for Better Knees, Claudia
arthroscopy.May 2004,microfracture left knee, Aug 2004, debridement and menisectomy Dec 2005  New OS March 2005 !!!

support