Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 weeks post op oats revision  (Read 1923 times)

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
4 weeks post op oats revision
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:58:56 PM »
Wow, I can't believe it has been 4 weeks tomorrow since my surgery.  The knee is feeling relatively good.  Aside from the stiffness and occasional achiness I have been pleased.  I am still on the cpm everyday but not quite as much as in the beginning.  The machine says I'm at 90 degrees but at PT I'm pushed to 100.  My rom has really been improving the past 2 weeks but this darned swelling is really holding me back.  I ice and ice but as soon as I stand up it swells back up again.  It is very frustrating.  I know it is only 4 weeks but I am really tired of the swelling because I know how much this swelling is affecting my progress.  I am tring to be patient.  
My OS has given the ok to start 25% weight bearing this week and over the next 2 weeks work up to full weight bearing.  As excited as I am about being able to bear weight, I am beginning to feel a little nervous.  
It was when I started bearing weight after the last surgery that I noticed something wasnt right.  I guess I just need to do it and have faith that things will be ok this time.  When I do bear a little weight it actually feels good so I suppose I am just being a bit of a worry wort.
Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will update more soon.
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline ahealthybug

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 4 weeks post op oats revision
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:31:18 AM »
Kathy:

Now that you are farther along, has the swelling subsided?  I had surgery 4 months ago and still suffer from swelling as a result of the slightest use of my knee.  Two weeks ago, they discovered scar tissue for which I was given a shot of Cortisone.  That area does not hurt, but it is still painful to walk, do stairs, etc.  I was cut back to only doing water aerobics, and though it doesn't hurt like it did after doing all the other PT therapies, it still swells.  I can't seem to figure out how to post a new question on this website, so thought I see what you had to say about swelling. 

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: 4 weeks post op oats revision
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 01:42:53 PM »
I'm not really sure how to answer that.  My knee still swells at times but I still have issue with chondral lesions.  I'm not sure where you should be with regard to swelling because I noticed from your other post that you had meniscus surgery.  In regard to the cortisone shot...I noticed immediate results from it.  The swelling that I had before the shot was pretty intense, it really affected my rehab.  Like you, whenever I tried to do any sort of exercise or activity in general it would swell pretty bad.  Cortisone, from what I understand, is an anti-inflamatory so that explains why my swelling got better after the shot, however, my symptoms did not go away...only the swelling.  I eventually needed to have the scar tissue and plica removed.  I have been doing a bit better since then but still have cartilage issues.  But at least now I am able to exercise and rebuild my quads. 
I'm not sure if I answered your question.  You may want to post under the meniscus area.  You might have better luck with other people who have gone thru the same surgery.
Kathy 
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja