Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bursitis, anyone ever got rid of it?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline acamm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Bursitis, anyone ever got rid of it?
« on: December 22, 2002, 12:04:43 AM »
Hi all,

I'm getting a little desperate here :-[! Apparantley the pain and muscle wastage I've been suffering from for the last four months is due to bursitis. 11 weeks of physio has just made things worse. The only thing that doesn't hurt is lying down with my leg completely straight :'( (which can be a  little inconvenient).
Is there anyone out there who has had successful treatment of bursitis? If so how was it done and how long did it take?
Did it involve cortisone injections and if so where there any side affects. I've been subjected to these before, into my ankles, and they didn't work. They just cuased muscle wastage and added instability to the joints!

Help!
Mandi
« Last Edit: December 22, 2002, 12:06:21 AM by acamm »

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Bursitis, anyone ever got rid of it?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 11:30:25 PM »
Cortisone is supposed to be the most effective treatment for bursitis that doesn't respond to other stuff.  Also, just because the shots didn't work in your ankle doesn't mean you're wasting your time doing them in your knee, as the problems could be completely different.

Other ways to treat bursitis involve PT--iontophoresis, phonophoresis or plain ultrasound, and stuff like that.  Have you been to see a PT yet?  Acupuncture may also be a great choice for you, as I understand it works very well for inflamed bursae.

Finally, I had persistent swelling my knee that was treated with oral steroids (prednisone) for 6 days.  It really works, but there are a lot more potential side effects than other treatments.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 07:14:32 AM »
 i would be against any and all cortisone injections.  from my exerience in sports and those playing, those who had multiple cortisone shots face a very srthritivc future. i know of one ex pro football player who tells me he would forgo any shots now if he knew how bad off he was going to be. some will differ with this but i have  seen young people look old because of this and had an os say 3 was most anyone should get in one location. if that is so then why get one. there are other options and it is your future as a healthy person.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 03:58:55 PM »
Hi Mandi

I have bursitis in my elbow, thanks to my desk job and a lot of work at home that goes with it.

I have been advised cortisone is the way to go however my other half had it in his knee and it made the pain worse not better.

I have been taking steroids in tablet form with a little success and been trying to rest it as much as I can.

I'd maybe leave of the physio for a week or so and just rest it and see how that compares.

Let us know how you get on.
Iona x

support