Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Length of Recovery after OATS?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline poohpoohknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Length of Recovery after OATS?
« on: March 16, 2005, 12:00:05 AM »
I am scheduled to have my OATS procedure on April 26, 2005.   I have just a small OCD lesion (femur) and my OS said I will be non-wt bearing for 4-6 weeks and he wants me off work the entire time.  My question is how long should I expect before full recovery is acheived?  Let me explain:  I want to go see U2 in the end of October and will have main floor general admission standing only "seats".  I'm just not sure I will be able to handle that.  Should I just face facts and skip the event  :'(  ? 

I've had 3 previous knee surgeries -meniscus repair (1986); abrasion arthoplasty(2002) and transarticular drilling (2003)- and my recoveries were not so bad.  But this seems to be a bit more involved and I don't want to mess anything up. 

Thanks for any help/advice!   

brattkids2

Re: Length of Recovery after OATS?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 05:28:16 PM »
you should be fine to go to the event by then. I have had two OATS the last in November and I am clear to do everything but run, jump and things like that. As far as standing you should be ok.

Best of luck to you and let us know how the proceedure goes!!

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Length of Recovery after OATS?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 06:12:59 PM »
Just wanted to say that I agree with Paulette.  You should be fine, considering there are no complications.  I've also had 2 Oats and was able to walk around and stand for a bit after about a couple months, even with my continual problems.  You wouldnt see me dancing in the isles yet but 3 months after my second Oats I was at the Jimmy Buffett concert at Fenway Park.
Good luck! 
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja