Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee injury after a fall  (Read 958 times)

Offline katyd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee injury after a fall
« on: March 23, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on my knee injury.
I fell 3 weeks ago and landed straight on my kneecap, I had an 1.5 inch cut across my which was quite deep and started swelling. I went to hospital where I had x-rays and the cut was taped shut ( I was later told I should of had stiches). I only saw a nurse and she told me the x-rays where fine (I didn't get to see them >:() to rest for 2 days to let the cut close up but then to keep moving as normal after that.
Well I don't have the swelling anymore, the cut is healing nicely, in fact its almost gone, but I still have a lot of pain. I can walk with a limp but going up and especially down stairs is impossible. When I bend my knee I sometimes get the feeling the bones don't move in the right way (sorry I can't explain it better). The pain I get is usually across the top or down the inside of my knee.
Also should the skin around the cut feel numb?

One other concern I have is that from the end of my cut in a line towards the inside of my knee the is a ridge like lump along/ontop of my kneecap which is very painfull to touch. I know It is probably just a bruise but with my cut healing so well I thought it was a bit odd.

My doctor says to give it time and everything will be fine but to be sure she sent me for more x-rays which I now have to wait 10 days for the results.

I know I'm just being impatient but any help anyone can give I'd appreciate,
thanks  :), katy.   

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: knee injury after a fall
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 06:12:18 AM »
Sometimes when there is a blow directly to the knee, the doctors are concerned about either a patellar fracture or damage to the cartilage that coats the back of your kneecap and helps it move smoothly.  This damage can be a 'bone bruise' or it can involve softening or even displacement of a divot or chunk of this cartilage.  These cartilage injuries usually won't show up on an x-ray, so if you are not feeling better I would push for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees.  GP's or family doctors aren't training in diagnosis and treatment of knee problems--and neither are nurses at the hospital!!  I  can't believe you weren't seen by a doctor....

Anyway, a direct blow to the knee can take a lot of time to calm down--months, sometimes.  If you aren't better by 6-8 weeks after the fall, I would start looking around for a new doctor.  And if you don't get some answers when you go back to go over your x-rays in 10 days, I would start pressing for potential diagnoses.

For some explanation on articular cartilage damage:  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com  go to 'patient information' on the upper right, and then click on 'chondral defects' under the knee section. 

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell