Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tourniquet palsy  (Read 2953 times)

Offline kmack

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
tourniquet palsy
« on: March 13, 2005, 01:02:23 AM »
I was wondering if anyone  else out there has suffered from tourniquet palsy?
I had scopes done in '03 and as a result suffered femoral nerve damage.
Now I have baja and scar tissue in knee that will have to be corrected by surgery.
Knee surgery again with tourinquets could leave me with no nerve function if this were to happen again.
Is this something that happens from time to time or did the 1st OS place them to high and too much pressure?(as I have been told) There are 4 muscles in the quads, 3 of the 4 I have 95% neve function and the 4th 50%. The neurologist tells me
you only need 50% to function and it has been so long already that the nerves have  regenrated as much as they going to.
So if this would occur again I would not be so lucky.  The only thing she would tell me is that they should use extreme caution
with the tourniquet.

Keith

Offline bajalady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: tourniquet palsy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 02:53:02 AM »
Hi,

This is not much help I know. I have been through many surgeries and have dealt with many OS's, PT's and knee patients over quite a number of years and I have never heard of what you have. That just means I've not run into anyone who was so unlucky as you. How awful. I've turned out black/blue/green/yellow from the tourniquet especially after my largest and longest procedure but I've never run into anybody who suffered nerve damage from a tourniquet. Were you told it was quite rare?

Callie
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 02:56:19 AM by bajalady »
Lft-- 1 open, mutiple scopes, combo Fulkerson- TTT and modified Maquet, more scopes.
RT--multiple scopes, one open
Baja, patella infra/contracture, DJD--Fibrosis

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 07:53:14 AM »
My last few surgeries were done without a tourniquet--I'm not sure if it's required each time.  I don't know the actual surgical and medical ramifications of not having a tourniquet, I just know it's been done in my case.

Also, one thing to consider that might make you more optimistic--scar tissue can entrap nerves and actually duplicate or mimic nerve pain.  So maybe the damage isn't so severe, or better, it might help you a lot to have the scar tissue carefully removed?  Just make sure to rehab carefully so it doesn't come back.

Heather

PS You might want to go to google and look up your condition.  Medical articles can be searched at http://www.findarticles.com

Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline kmack

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 01:52:22 PM »
Heather,

Were those surgeries for scar tissuse removal and do you know why your OS did not use a tourniquet in you case?

Thanks
Keith

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 07:16:48 PM »
Yes, those surgeries were for scar tissue removal--Lysis of Adhesions.

He didn't use a tourniquet because I had a bad problem with severe muscle spasms post-op.  Also, I had a really bad joint bleed develop after my lateral release--it became evident only after I got into post op.  So the OS thought the tourniquet might have prevented him from seeing the bleeder until after I was out of surgery.  I also understand lateral release is notorious for this kind of thing.

Anyway, that's my story.  I'm not an MD and don't understand why the tourniquet is preferred.  Seems pretty barbaric to me....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support