Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP!  Patella Tendon Pain??  (Read 4219 times)

Offline jjpslu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
HELP!  Patella Tendon Pain??
« on: February 27, 2004, 06:56:40 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone on this forum have any clue as to what my following pain is called or suggestions on how to treat it??

Almost 4 years post ACL Reconstruction, I am still experiencing pain just below the kneecap in what I believe to be the Patella Tendon.  

Upon bending and then extending my knee, I can hear a popping at times.  However, my pain only comes from squatting - especially on only one leg, walking down a ramp or from kneeling.

I can pinpoint the area just below my right kneecap, to the inner upper left of my graft scar, and it is painful to the pressured touch.   Both kneeling on and in touching this area, I can actually feel a slight bump, with the most pain is from kneeling on this actual bump.

After being told there was no issue from two Orthos, an XRay was recently taken by my Chiro, who said it looked like some "calcification in the patella tendon?"

I am very disheartened not receiving any proactive help from doctors and especially not being able to state exactly what my problem is called!

Until the day comes when insurance covers Orthotripsy for the knee, I guess that I have to deal with the pain.

If anyone can help me narrow the terminology or offer specific advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanx,

John
[email protected]

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: HELP!  Patella Tendon Pain??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 04:19:34 AM »
John,

I can't diagnose your problem, but I also always have pain in my patellar tendon. Mine is a tight, burning kind of pain due to chronic tendonitis. I have patella baja, so the patella tendon is short and thick, and is constantly being irritated and pulled. Put this together with a chondral defect behind the patella which catches with bending my knee, and I have a problem. I don't have any specific advice for you except ice and anti-inflammatories. PT also helped. Maybe someone else will have some more specific info for you.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline wend1175

• Regular Poster
  • Does it ever get better
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 04:44:59 PM »
HI sorry to hear about your pain i also have been diagnosed with patella tendonosis......i had a maquet procedure last year in august...but my OS is sending me to more PT for massage and ultrasound...NO EXERCISE until healed...Hope you feel better soon
Torn Medial Meniscus & LR 3/3/03, Maquet Procedure 6/11/03, Arthroscopy, medial meniscectomy, revision of Tubercle osteotomy R knee 4/20/04,12/14/04 removal of hardware, 11/03/2006 torn meniscus left knee

Offline jjpslu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 11:26:52 PM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for the responses.

So, is it common so long after ACL for people to have this sort of Patella Tendon pain?

It feels like a small ridge, and my chiro's analysis of my xray results is that it is some sort of "calcification."

It hurts when squatting on this one leg and is very painful to kneel, as I can feel this ridge.

Do I have Patella Tendinosis/itis, and if so, would orthotripsy work?

Thanx,

John

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 12:44:33 AM »
John,

Did you have a patellar tendon ACL recon?  That may explain some of the problems, if this is your graft site.  :-/  You can get calcifications in any area of soft tissue healing, it's called calcinosis.  Not sure if this is really the same thing as patellar tendonitis (or tendonosis)

I've had long-standing problems with patellar tendonitis.  Mine isn't really chronic, just recurrent (like every time I have surgery).  Mine is tenacious, hard to get rid of, and requires aggressive anti-inflammatories, ice, rest and often steroids. :P

The chronic stuff that many people get though is really tendonosis (no inflammation, like with tendonitis) which is necrosis (death) and breakdown of part of the patellar tendon.  This can be a problem which sometimes requires surgical excision of the unhealthy part of the tendon.

If there's actual calcification you can see on x-ray though, this sounds more like calcinosis.  I'm not entirely sure what (if anything) you can do about that.  You may want to talk to your OS about it.

Danielle :)
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Laurie

• Regular Poster
  • new ACL,repaired PCL+Meniscus+Sc ar tissue rmvl
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 12:46:52 AM »
John,

I had pain similiar to this after ACL reconstruction.  I too could not walk down a step or squat on one leg, etc... without pain.  I did step downs.  Hundreds of step downs.  I started with a book less than 1 inch thick.  I did 4 sets of 25 - 5x a week.  Then I gradually increased the book.  It took months of doing this before I could say I could do a full step down without pain and kneel on the knee without pain.

Maybe try these for a month and see if it helps.

Laurie
Laurie :)

Offline BBall12

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 09:34:40 PM »
I have tendinosis and am due to have surgery to remove the bad tissue in 2 months.
In the k=mean time does anyone know if you play basketball with tendinosis can you cause more damage.  MY knee lets me play about 1 a week or 1 every 2 weeks.  Then it hurts real bad and have to let some of the pain subside before playing again.

By playing with tendinosis is this casuing more damge??
Would it be best if i stop playing until my knee has the bad tissue removed.  In other words by playing bball with tendinosis can i cause my tendon to further have tissue die or bad tissue form??

What would you all advise me to do in between the now and 2 months from now when i get my patella tendon cut on to remove sick tissue???