Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wrists  (Read 2817 times)

Stacey

Wrists
« on: March 11, 2003, 02:59:15 PM »
Hi everyone.  Had my first PT for my wrist yesterday.  Went in thinking it was just tendonitis in my wrist, turns out it is in my thumb and all my fingers as well :( I have at least 8 weeks of PT for it :( and the ever optimistic PT said it will never get better, 'we will just try to dull the pain'.  He was playing around with things and discovered i may have some nerve damage on teh affected arm and my shoulder coudl dislocate very easily (even though it didnt thankfully).  As it turns out i am probably sblaxing my wrist a few times a week and my thumb about once a day :(.  Anyone else have wrist problems?  How do you go about getting through a day?  I am in computers so giving up typing is not an option!!! Well i have to get to school.  Hope to hear from someone soon.  Hope you are all doing great ;D

SL99

Re: Wrists
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 02:05:34 PM »
Hi Stacey,

Yep I have the old wrist problems from my hypermobility too....the left isn't doing so bad at themoment though as it's encased in plaster with Kermit! My right wrist hurts a lot after I use the computer though, especially the mouse...that's a real killer.

I sublux/dislocate my wrists quite a lot too so that mied in with the computer work gives rise to a lot of pain and inflammation of the tendons and joint etc. I find that wearing a rigid support although it makes typing a little awkward does help to reduce the strain on the wrists and always try to use an ergonomic keyboard and mouse with wrist protection pads in place. If your school don't have then try writing/suggesting that either they or you provde them for you as it makes a big difference to the angle and strain put on your arms.

Beyond that for pain and management you could try some of the gel ice packs that freeze up when you squash then, I think these and similar devices are available at most chemists. You could also think about the ultrsonic massage machines that are available these days too as they are great for reducing inflammation. They are pretty expensive but you may be able to get a trial of one form a pain clinic first in order to see if it works before deciding if it's worth buying one. The same goes for a tens machine too.

I hope this os of some help to you Darl and that the PT helps releive your pain more than has been suggested. Hang in there and you know where I am if you need me.

Love and hugs.....Jo
xxx

P.S. For your fingers you could try the silver ring splints. Rhea can probably give you more info on them as I haven't tried them yet.  :)

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 02:40:22 PM »
I too have wrist and thumb probelms too and frequently subuxe them, I have an assortemnt of wrist braces and such some helped some didn't, I find a lpatop with either a glide point of trackball better for ME than using a mouse. I also have shoulder problems and nerve injuries from this too <OUCH>. and use and "ergorest" when using the main computer (as opposed to my laptop) which is a forearm rest to prevent drag on my shoulder (particularly the right / repaired one which is also the one with RSD).
Look at getting some splints for your fingers/ thumbs and wrists, though either your PT or an Orthotisit and you might also want to see an OT (occupational therapist) who can help you with things to help make school and LIFE easier, I have done this in the past ans they were wonderful with all sorts of suggestions and advice for me, on ways to make life in an Odd Bodd Body easier.
Good Luck and here is hoping PT helps (does your PT know much about Hypermobility/ HMS/ EDS and such disorders) if not it may pay to print out some info off the net for him/her to look at.
Good Luck
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Stacey

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 02:53:07 PM »
Hi Jo

A day after PT I was in severe pain!  My neck, back and everything in my arm hurts its insane!  Like I said so far typeing doesnt hurt, but ive also been doing it for years so i think im pretty ergonomic without any of hte pads and things, or at least i have learned how to do this without causeing pain to my body.  The ice packs sometimes help but often also make the pain even more unbearable :(  Sorry this is short but i have to go get ready for school.

Hi Sharon

I am getting one of the rigid wrist splints on friday (my dad already owened one that will fit so i didnt want to go out and buy another one and i am going home this weekend so...  The PT did suggest that if hte brace i had didnt work that i go to an OT.  I did mention to the PT that i was very hyper mobile and he just kidna shrugged and said well thats just you we have to deal with it.  See you later :)

Offline PiercedPrincess

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
Hi everyone.  Had my first PT for my wrist yesterday.  Went in thinking it was just tendonitis in my wrist, turns out it is in my thumb and all my fingers as well :( I have at least 8 weeks of PT for it :( and the ever optimistic PT said it will never get better, 'we will just try to dull the pain'.  He was playing around with things and discovered i may have some nerve damage on teh affected arm and my shoulder coudl dislocate very easily (even though it didnt thankfully).  As it turns out i am probably sblaxing my wrist a few times a week and my thumb about once a day :(.  Anyone else have wrist problems?  How do you go about getting through a day?  I am in computers so giving up typing is not an option!!! Well i have to get to school.  Hope to hear from someone soon.  Hope you are all doing great ;D

Although this is an old post I thought I would try my luck...I am a legal typist, I can also type up to 95 wpm. I do alot of typing through out the day and I also am a piercer.  During my typing hours I have to situate my self above the height of the keyboard. I also use a wrist rest to help relax the muscles in my hands so they do not cramp up.  This gives the carpel tunnel a non-extended stance, meaning that my hands are as flat as my wrists. I notice problems when I have to arch my fingers up and over to reach some keys so the position I sit in allows for clear motion to those keys with out flexing my fingers back.

I often get numbness in all of my fingers but two-both pinkies. I believe that also has to do with the way the nerves run into the fingers-I maybe wrong.  Another problem I have is my elbow-when I stay in one position for so long typing my elbow tends to tense up and then pop. Usually with an outward radial? movement? 

As a piercer I have to take note of where my hands are and how they are working at all times.  Tensed hands can make me shake and be very unsturdy-hence why I now have "helping" hands. While I have never had a dislocation during a piercing (knock on wood), I have had cramps. 

I do not use braces for typing and or piercing and nor do I do therapy (medical) however I do use massage techniques to help loosen the muscle cramps up and I use a Tea Tree Oil or similiar massage oils. However if you have a doctor, ask their suggestions.

On a normal day my wrists crack all the time, when moving or flexing the hand or fingers, lifting things and in any movement really. Its not a popping noise really, its more of a clicking noise. I have a harder time as I have noticed rotating my wrists..and I feel as if I have very weak muscles thereof.

I hope that I can soon get health insurance to finally get answers instead of lame ones given to my parents when I was younger.
Bia-Lynne