Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS Procedure Recovery  (Read 108982 times)

Offline Earthway

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: OATS Procedure Recovery
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
Hello all ...

I had the OATS procedure done about 4 weeks ago and I am still no weight bearing ..I have been in PT since 2 days after the procedure..The problem I am having appears to be circulation issues ..When I stand on my crutches to go to the restroom my leg turns redish purple from the knee to my toes ...About a week after the surgery they had me checked for blood clots and didnt find anything ...As I stated I am in between week 4 and 5 this condition still exists ...Any ideas ?

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2009, 10:37:37 PM »
i second everything that Janice said!!  I am 15 months out from mosaicplasty............12 plugs and am only now starting to believe that it has been successful and only now beginning to feel the quads beginning to fire and strength beginning to return.

I have the added bonus of a failed ACL graft and the fact that i will be undergoing revision for this later on in the year, something that remotely would not be offered if my OS did not believe that this has worked.

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2009, 02:56:37 AM »
I had oats procedure on May 15 09 I managed thru surgery ok no Block i was put under. there were two plugs replaced with my own transplanted plugs. (not donor) I spent 4 days in the hospital. I started PT two days home. I was put on a CPM for six weeks 4 hours on 4 off. I took tramadol for pain 2 pills every 4 to 6 hours as needed. I still have some left. I was instructed no weight bearing on that leg 6 weeks.It has been 9 and when i saw O/S Last monday i was told to continue PT and stay no weight 3 more weeks. O/S said we need to go 3 months no weight. To this point there is still swelling and some pain. My flexiation and motion seem good. I am just wondering If anyone else has had these results or if anyonecan tell me what to expect in the future. Other than going crazy with the inability do do anything I am still thinking the surgery was the best thing to do. The worst thing so far has been the withdrawl from the Tramadol. Please research this drug prior to use or stopping the use of it.

Offline lisabirkes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2009, 09:59:26 PM »
Hi i'm 5 weeks out of Oats due to a car injury.  Rt. now I'm still in the bracea nd on crutches for movement.  I was on the CPM machien but now off due to insure.  I have almost NO range of motion.  I can't streighten it at all or bend it over 25%, it's kind of stuck tat 15%ish, guessing at degrees here.  I'm alowed to rest my foot on crutches but no weight baring.  it's still quiet swollen and I'm wondering if that's why it's not movable.  Any one have any suggestions?  I go to the doc. in a few days to see what he says.  THanks  Lisa

Offline 1bumknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »
I had an OATS procedure on 12/15/2009.  I am an ex-pro athlete in my 50's and still very active in my sport of soccer. My plug was taken from another non-weight bearing part of my knee.  After the operation, I was non-weight bearing for 2 weeks and used a CPM machine for 8hrs/day for 3 weeks. I started therapy a few days after the operation and continued therapy for 2 months.  Prior to my operation, my doctor said I would be able to start jogging at 3 months and playing soccer again at 4 months. I bought a stationary bike and used that from months 1 on.  I bought an elliptical machine and used that from months 3 on.  At 3 months my knee hurt if I even tried to jog.  At 6 months  I could only jog about 3 yards and then my knee began to hurt and I had to stop. My doctor started to consider that the operation was not a success.  At 6 months I bought a treadmill and started walking briskly and jogging for a few seconds at a time.  Finally at 8 months the intense knee pain went away and I was able to run, jog, and play soccer again.  I know everyone's experience is different.  I just wanted to document my experience to show that things could take longer than expected, but staying the course could pay off in the long run.

Offline Redlegger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
I had this procedure with 2 plugs back in 2000 trying to avoid a TKR at age 42. I had been an active runner with several marathons under my belt. While the surgeon said I'd be able to resume physical activities, after 9 months of rehab I found myself pain-free. I have several other OS friends who all said I'd be crazy to ever run or play basketball again. 10 years out, I'm still pain-free for the most part. I have been doing crossfit which requires lots of presses and squats. I am paranoid as my OS pals say don't do it , despite the crossfit instructors telling me with proper technique I am putting no pressure on the knee. Any Thoughts ?

Offline Aging Skater

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »
Hello Folks,
Thanks to all who post and participate, it helped me prepare for my surgery and provided much insight into all of the stuff people experience with these problems and surgeries that surgeons never mention or perhaps aren't even aware of.  It seemed that everywhere I went, the Docs were more concerned with signing me up and getting me on their table, regardless of the procedure.  A couple guys I spoke with wanted to do micro-fracture and completely talked down the oats procedure.  Luckily a good friend of mine is an orthopedic surgeon and encouraged me to keep researching and consider all that is out there.  Though the doc I went with was no different from the rest, he was eager to operate.  I waited a little while and seemed like the best possibility available in the USA and had the procedure done 12 weeks ago.

I am 39 years old and very active and suffered a 18mm full thickness tear in the cartilage on the troclea of my right femoral condial (not sure if I spelled or described that just right).  I elected to have an epidural and little sedation (I told them to go light on the versed), so I could watch the surgery and actually remember it.  The pain for the first several days was way more intense than I imagined.  I was taking 2 norco ever 4 hours for for days.  In the morning of day 4 I stopped because I was fully constipated and felt so drugged out.  as soon as I stopped, everything got moving and the pain mellowed to where advil seemed to do the trick. 

I was allowed to bare weight almost right away as long as my leg was kept straight.  I was on the CPM a lot and was up to 120 degrees within a couple weeks.  I started PT and was allowed to bare weight on it bent at 8 weeks.  Now at 12 weeks, my quad is still super weak and there is a large bulge just below my kneecap.  When I walk I still have this sorta wobbly limp and my leg gives out.  I feel like these issues have nothing to do with my repair and my PT has no quality input, as he has never worked with anyone that has had this procedure.  The repair area feels pretty good actually (I actually snowboarded this week, though I am sure that was a terrible idea).

Has anyone else had experiences with this prolonged weakness and instability? 

Cheers,
Old Sk8er

Offline Clumsy86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2011, 04:22:50 AM »
Hi! I am new to knee geeks. And I might be facing the OATS surgery as an option in the next week or so. I have been dealing with a full thickness tear of my arteral (however you spell it) and now two weeks of PT hasn't helped at all. Just proved again how severe my knee has gotten. I have had my knee scoped once before about ten years ago from bone chips from a dislocation, but I know nothing about the Oats procedure. Except from what I've read online. From everyone reading this, do you think the OATS procedure was the best thing to go ahead with or do you wish you would have researched more options. Given the amount of time it has taken to recover from the Oats procedure????? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Im really really scared. And I am getting to the point where I just can't walk without pain, stiffness, and instability. I got back to my Ortho on Monday!

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2011, 04:23:29 AM »
Hi, Clumsy86.  This forum has been an awesome way to get through my three knee surgeries.  I have felt no one in my area goes through this.  It is very rare type of surgery.  OATS is good if a fresh graph is used.  In my second surgery a synthetic plug was put in and it failed.  I am 71/2 weeks out from surgery.  It does take a long time to recover and it is very painful.  I am still having pain and stiffness.  I actually start putting weight on next week.  I did start physical therapy 2 days after surgery which did help with moving.  I also was in a CPM machine for 8 hours a day for 4 weeks.  This really helped.  You will need help so do not be shy to ask.  If you specific questions I can ask I will try to help.  Let me know.  Having someone to talk to who is going through or has been there to understand really helps.

Offline beansmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »
It's amazing how many posts I'm seeing here about failed OATS.  I think that in and of itself should be an indication that OATS is not the best procedure for osteochondral lesions.  That said, maybe only those people with failed OATS get on this board??

I had two OATS grafts done in Nov 2010.  Around Apr 2011 (when my doctor had to perform an additional microfracture on my kneecap), it was discovered that one of the two (which was the smaller) grafts had failed.  In July, I had a partial knee replacement to replace the failed graft.

I continued to complain to my doc about pain for months and months, which I've been doing since my original problem developed in Aug 2010.  He kept telling me to "give it time" and that my xrays looked good.  Finally, I went to another orthopedist, who immediately diagnosed that the other bigger graft had *never* taken, and now I have avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis = bone death) that has spread even further than the original injury. While the failed grafts were not originally detected on xrays, they were detectable on MRIs.  Now, the injury is so bad that it's easily detectable on xrays.  My new doc surmises that I was originally given unviable donor material.  Unfortunately for me, this means that I have to get a revision = total knee replacement in a couple of weeks. 

Give the intense pain and very long recovery from the OATS done last Nov, I NEVER would have gotten this done and would have gone to a straight knee replacement.  My life has been a living hell for over two years, and after the next surgery and recovery, I'll be looking at 1.5 years of constant knee pain.

My advice - don't bother with OATS - go straight to replacement.  It's not worth the "risk" of hoping the grafts will take.

Best of luck.

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2011, 03:04:23 AM »
You said you were given a partial knee replacement.  I was told by a few surgeons I was to young for a knee replacement.  This procedure is to get me to the knee replacement in 10 years.  I am 9 1/2 weeks now and putting about 50% of my weight.  I still am having pain so do not know if worked.  I really wish sometimes I would have just had a replacement so I can get on with life.  My original injury was 12/2009.  I am really done with all of this.

Offline beansmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2011, 05:35:18 AM »
I don't buy what the docs say about being "too young" for a replacement.  If it bought me 10+ years of pain-free activity, I would be willing to go through a replacement every 10 years for the rest of my life just for a respite from pain.  Instead, here I am 1.5 years later, and actually worse than ever, still on crutches, still barely able to work. 

I found OATS recovery to be pretty hellish, and in the end, it didn't work anyway.  I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »
The reason that age is a concern is that you can only have so many replacements as bone is removed for the procedure. They want to make sure they exhaust all options before going there. There are also a great deal of complications that can stem from the replacement. I am 39 and have had a failed mfx and failed autograft. I am currently waiting for a fresh allograft with MCL reconstruction.  I try not to let the horror stories get to me. I have not had the best experience so far but I have a new surgeon and feel very confident in him. If it doesn't work then I will have a replacement but at least I know I had done all I could do before putting metal into my knee. Good luck to you.
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

support