Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cadaver allograft?? cross posted  (Read 1912 times)

brattkids2

cadaver allograft?? cross posted
« on: March 10, 2005, 12:36:08 PM »
Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation (OCA)  with cadaver allograft tissue  Has anyone had this and how successful was it??
I am looking at this proceedure this fall and was wondering if anyone else had any success with it.

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: cadaver allograft?? cross posted
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 06:36:27 PM »
Hi Paulette,

If I remember correctly Janice had the allograft.  She recently posted a link about it.  If you look thru some of the recent posts on here I'm sure you could find it. 
Sorry I cant really help, I've had the autografts but the allograft may be in my future and Janice posted that info for me when I was complaining one day :-\   My OS also brought up the option of a tibial graft from the same leg. I havent been able to find any info about that but someone else (QBknee, I think)  posted a respond to my post that he had that done and it seems to be successfull. 

Good luck on your search.
kathleen   
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 05:23:38 PM »
Paulette,

I did have an allograft.  I was not a candidate for autograft and my surgeon isn't a fan of ACI (due to the fact that their seems to be overgrowth of tissue).  In terms of recovery, it like all cartilage restoration/salvage procedures, it takes a long, long time to heal.  Unless the surgeon does a poor job with graft placement, its a 12 - 24 month recovery.  I've mentioned the long recovery before and it's true.  Surgeons are still amazed about how much healing takes place 24 months out.  I'm about 3 weeks shy of 24 months.  I really started to feel good at about 18 months (then I fell and took a step back in recovery).  I basically took off December and rehab in January was limited.  I'm about 90% of were I was pre fall in December.  My procedure was definitely a salvage situation.  If you want to see what the grafts look like check out www.mtf.org.  They order them in hemichondyles.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
  • split personality..sometimes me,, sometimes my son
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:27:24 AM »
My son had an allograft with fresh bone from a donor ...he is only in his third month of recovery.. still on crutches and has been told to expect to be NWB for a year...we have to have a custom  made  brace so that when he does get back on his feet the weight is shifted ..by passes the knee to the pelvis...we are told to expect to wear it for at least a year.
In reading the board I was starting to get concerned as everyone was talking about much shorter terms of NWB...I feel much better now...We must be talking about the same type of surgery...My son says he had no more pain and feels a difference right away...we still have a journey ahead of us but at least we are on our way...hang in there...Will's mom
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Tibial Plateau Transplant
Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 01:17:16 PM »
Wow NWB for a year!!! That seems like such a long time!! Were there other proceedures done along with the OATS??
I sure hope your son is recovering well!!!

I had my allograft on June 23rd and I am doing well!! The real test will be when I am able to walk on it. My OS said I would be NWB for 5 weeks.

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
  • split personality..sometimes me,, sometimes my son
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 01:55:16 PM »
Hi Paulette

Yes..I understand it will be non weight bearing for a year but maybe i'm mistaken...seeing as so many on the board have already been through this and are talking weeks...however..my son has already put in since  May 26 on crutches...we go next week to have a brace fitted...he had to have the leg broken...initally in the fall when we saw the OS ..the OS thought it wouldn't be necessary to break the leg as it was looking pretty good however between that time and the time of the surgery my son must have been favouring the knee more so they had to break it to realign it...other than that..unless it has something to do with the size of the plug...I don't really know but I do have many more questions for the doctor after becoming a member of this site...thanks a million ..I wish I had found this before having the surgery done...better later than never...We live a five hour drive from the OS so it's a little tricky getting answers right away..especilly since they are on holidays for two weeks...My son has started phyiso and has a 110 degree bend..they say he is six weeks ahead of himself...I guess we will have to keep plugging away...best of luck on your knee journey...thanks for the input...Will's mom
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Tibial Plateau Transplant
Oats Procedure
May 26 2005