Banner - Hide this banner

Poll

If you have ever had knees taped; what did you think?

It helped a lot
4 (30.8%)
More stable, but uncomfortable
5 (38.5%)
Didn't help at all
0 (0%)
Painful
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: March 15, 2005, 10:18:06 PM

Author Topic: Patella Taping  (Read 8459 times)

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
Patella Taping
« on: March 08, 2005, 10:18:07 PM »
I've seen a lot of questions about knee taping and thought this might be an interesting poll. It seems that people have a lot of opinions on it.
  I had it done during PT and didn't like it at all. It did make my knees feel like they were in the right spot and more stable. However, it felt like there was an internal battle of tugging going on that still makes me cringe thinking about it. I really freaked out the first time they did it! Went straight home & took it off (which was by no means easy!).
I was just wondering what everyone else thought about it.

Dubs

Offline arizona

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patella Taping
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:10:38 PM »
I had a LR in Nov & PT was aggravating my Patella until I got a cortisone shot & I started taping. The tracking is still not right but the taping is helping. I am able to ride the bike at heavy levels. I think it's not an exact science. There are many different positions to tape the patella. You just have to find the one that works.
Arizona
Lateral Release in Nov 2004

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 11:20:42 PM »
I found that the taping made my knee alot more painful, but it somewhat did help.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 11:43:55 PM »
Taping made my knee much worse cuase I can't handle the downward pressure it creates on my patellae. :p wish it helped...
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:35:51 AM »
My knee has been taped for 3 weeks now.  It was uncomfortable and tight at first, but once used to it its OK.  My knee rarely gives way with the tape in place and the klonking and locking is also happening far less frequently with the tape on.
I was given tape by my physio and shown how to tape it myself.  Im just amazed its taken almost 4 years with 5 extra operations to come up with such a simple effective fix for my knee :-[

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 01:44:16 PM »
I found that taping my knees worked really well for me, it just gave me that extra bit of stability so that I could do all my PT exercises without the kneecap dislocating.  My PT showed me how to do the taping at home and still sometimes use it when I'm doing my knee exercises.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 09:12:46 PM »
Make sure you have it done with the right kind of tape.  The most commonly used (and cheapest) tape in US rehab clinics is Leukotape--that stuff should be BANNED.  it is so inflexible, it feels like your kneecap is being ground into the back of your leg.  Taping with this brand made my pain much, much worse.  And the only thing more painful than leaving it on was trying to get that junk OFF my leg--lost several layers of skin doing that, I'll tell you.

My fifth PT said he wanted to tape my kneecap and I almost fled the place.  But he told me about this great tape he uses, called Kinesio Tek.  It's awesome.  You can bend your leg fully with this on, because it GIVES.  Yet it also repositions your kneecap.  And it's easy as pie to get it off--just pull.  It's 'one stick' tape, meaning you have one chance to make it stick.  If you mess up and try to move it, that's the end of that piece--it will fall right off.

Check out kinesio tek on google.  Several web sites sell it.  I bought the turquoise one, which is waterproof.  $20/roll, which is four times the cost of Leukotape.  I have to bring it in to the PT clinic and have them use it, then take it home with me.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 03:13:22 AM »
Hi all!! Taping really helped me, but I did feel like my kneecap was "fighting" the tape. It felt weird. But it made it feel much more stable. I now have a Patellar J brace. Yes, it helps with the stability, but now instead of my knee feeling like it is sliding to the outside (which is where alot of my pain is), it now is hurting on the inside also. I assume this is because the kneecap is being forced to stay where it belongs and its not used to that. Ughhhhhh. I just wish they could do something that would make it better, without the itchy, hot, uncomfortable brace.  This was definitel an interesting poll to start. Hope everyone is doing ok......

Donna ;D
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Quinkin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
    • Turramulli the Giant Quinkin
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 06:50:58 AM »
The Knee taping helped me initially. The first time I used it I got immediate relief. Over a six week period in Perth and more recently the tape was really helping my recovery.

Then I was forced to use Leukotape and Elastoplast , because they seem to have such a monopoly in shopping centres and chemists. Their 'rigid strapping tape is flimsy garbage that is not rigid at all, and lacks adhesiveness. It falls off after about 15 minutes. I tried all their products and I hate them all. I hurt my knee even more when using their "premium plus' stuff. it fell off during an exercise.

I found a brand called Body Plus and it was better. But it couldn't cope with the high temperature and humidity of where I live.
Eventually I got some tape over the net, which is adhesive, and doesn't drop off at the first bead of sweat. In early February I was making progress. Then I saw a new physio who taped my knee very lightly, because he was worried about my skin. My knee fired up two days later. Overall I think I am improving, but this coniditon is hard to beat.

But now I've done more damage to my knee thanks to leukotape.
To wish impossible things

The Cure

Offline Elliejane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »
I had both my knees taped, and while it helped at first it was very painful and uncomfortable! the physio showed me how to do it myself but i couldnt do it, just thinking about doing it now makes me cringe! i really wish it had worked as everything else seemed to have failed!
Ellie
18 years old and had nearly 6 years of knee trouble! tried almost everything other than surgery apart from arthroscopies on both knees! wish there was a magic cure! :-)

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »
After I had my lateral release physio was really irratating my knee and it still wasn't tracking properly. My physio recommended taping the knee but unfortunately it didn't help. I got alot of pain and discomfort from it. I tried it for a week but had to stop. I've heared alot of people do benifit from taping though, I think it just depends on the individual.

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
I found taping very helpful, but also found that "wearing" the tape kind of as a semi-permanent thing can make things worse.  Also found that you just have to kind of test and feel how much pressure to apply for any given instance.  I have no trouble with Leukotape as long as one puts the tape OVER a bottom layer of Cover Roll tape.  The Cover Roll is adhesive on both sides, hypoallergenic, holds up to showers etc. and gives a guide for overlay of Leukotape. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »
before i had my recent op (4 and a 1/2 weeks ago) i was having physio to try and correct the problem i was having and the physio used to tape my knee.
i didn't rate this at all and found i was in more pain after id been then before! it was supposed to have eased it by pulling my knnecap back across but it was worse!!
(i was also allergic to the tape!)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:33:32 AM by shortyclairebear »
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline bcmd73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 02:17:09 AM »
hi when i first started taping my knee it was great for my knee it really depends on the injury of the knee but i do think it helps

fawn2388

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 02:18:35 AM »
It helped but wasn't a fix.

support