Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ideas for a cardio workout?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
ideas for a cardio workout?
« on: March 07, 2005, 09:20:41 PM »
I am eager to get back to some sort of workout, after 3 months of being limited to PT.  I've had to give up martial arts for the knee, but I don't want to give up exercise comopletely.

I had a partial meniscectomy and abrasion arthroplasty on Dec. 7 2004.  3 big lesions - lateral tibial plateau, lateral femoral condoyle, and trochlea, all down to the bone.  When I called my dr. they basically don't want me doing any land based cardio activity yet.  They don't want me bending the knee.  The fitness center I'm joining has a pool, so I was going to walk some laps in the pool.  They told me I should build up to swimming.  Does anyone have some fun activities for the pool to get my heart rate up?  I've taken the water fitness classes they offer, but it doesn't nothing for my heart rate.  I feel it in the muscles though.  I've tried "going faster/harder" but that just means I'm in more pain when I get out of the pool, and I still don't get my heart rate up. 

Any help will be appreciated.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Jim777

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: ideas for a cardio workout?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 11:33:21 PM »
Hi Jess - One of the exercises I find helps is to hold your legs out straight behind you (with or without a float between your thighs) and just swim with your arms - NO LEG MOVEMENT WHATSOEVER.  I find breastroke with the arms is the most controlled and gives the best workout - really good without the float as you have to use your arms to really pull you up to get your breath.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Offline andrewdeck

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:44:03 PM »
Hi Jess - One thing that has helped me is the rowing machine at 24 hour fitness.  You sit on a seat, extend your legs out to the sides and row solely with your arms.  Use crutches if you need them to help getting into and out from a sitting poistion, and have a friend help.  I elevated my bad leg for a while on a padded stool.  You can set the resistance factor dial to what ever you are challenged to do.  Working just with your arms can give you a good cardio work out if you do it for 20 -30 minutes.  Recommended to row forward two minutes, then row backwards for two minutes, etc.  Maybe row for 10 minutes, take a rest/water break, then do another ten minutes, until you are able to handle 20 minutes straight.  Remember to sit up straight, leaning slightly back as you row.

Offline andrewdeck

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 03:24:14 AM »
Jess- To be more specific re. the stationary "rowing machine" - it's called a Sprint Torso - not like the rowing machines you find flat on the floor where you have to bend your legs to make the rowing action.  The Sprint Torso only requires your arms.  Hope this clariifies it better.

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 05:10:35 AM »
Jess,

See if you can get access to a UBE, upper body ergometer.  I have used one for some pretty intense cardio during post-op rehab.  Let me know how it works out.  Take care.

Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline Maverick72

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 04:15:48 PM »
Hi Black Belt girl,

I like you WAS into martial arts and had to stop.  My style has you on your knees a lot.

And like you I hate being inactive - I feel like I am pudging out as type ACKK!

I decided to suck it up and consult a personal trainer for some help.  I told her about my knee injury and she ( bless her heart) developed a fitness plan to work out the body from the hips on up.

While you may not be able to do leg based cardio don't forget all the advantages of weight training for the upper body. 

Her design has me doing high weight (one rep - it almost burns me out) then a 2 sets of 12 with half the weight but at a fast interval.   I do this for all the upper body muscles.

Then she has me do core muscle exercises on a balance ball (make sure the ball is appropriate for your height - very important.) I do all sorts of trunk extensions to work out my back. After that I do all sorts of variations of sit-ups on the ball for the front of my body. 

None of this aggravates my knee and I have lost some weight when I stick to it religiously. 

Good luck.  I know personal trainers are very expensive but I think one session to set up a workout for you specifically is worth every penny!

Don't give up. ;)
Slip and Fall Jan 04
PT Feb - Nov 04
Neurontin (is my friend) Aug 04 to present
3 MRI's (just a little fluid)
Hoping third Ortho doc is magical

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 04:54:58 PM »
Thanks all.  I've started taking aqua fitness classes.  I will probably hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions, so I can do some upper body weights, and maybe get some specific ideas on things to do in the water to replace the boring straight leg raises.  (It's amazing what you can do with a noodle).

maverick - I like the idea on the weights - 1 set really heavy, then 2 sets at half that.  I may try it.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 05:42:05 PM »
Hi Jess,

The aqua fitness class is a good idea, somehow I thought you were doing thazt.  I usually recommend that for the post-op spine pts.  I ran a dryland conditioning program for an alpine ski team this winter, we had almost no snow in the NW, and the weight routine and core work described worked great for some of the athletes.  Others did better with a different routine but the essential thing was keeping the heartrate in the aerobic zone for cardio benefits.  A good ATC can help with your rehab, some PTs are ATC also and they put good programs together.

Keep up the good work...................................Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result