Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee pain  (Read 847 times)

Offline scampie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee pain
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:52:21 AM »
My daughter went to see the consultany yesturday 10 months after injuring her knee. her scan showed nothing, but she has incredible pain on walking up stairs, cycling,kneeling etc on inside oo knee by side of knee cap. when its moved it really hurts. We were told that because nothnig showed up there is nothing wrong nd she has to work through the pain. I mentioned that the mri 's are not 100% which did not go down well. he said everything shows up. He is supposed to be the main knee consulatant for our area. We can out feeling dispondant and have got no further forward. If there is nothng wrong why is she in pain with certian movements. We do not know what to do next. shes only thirteen.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: knee pain
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 12:28:40 PM »
a second opinion. I feel it's ridiculous for a surgeon to defend the all knowing accuracy of an MRI scan. My OS admits that MRI's don't show anything. He uses them to rule out ligament and meniscus involvment.  If I were you i'd get a second opinion.  Is your daughter currently going to Physiotherapy? Might be a consideration.  Physiotherapists can be worth their weight in gold in helping to sort these things out. Goodluck and don't give up...

Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: knee pain
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:30:11 PM »
Hi Scampie

I am sorry your thirteen year old daughter is in so much pain, but I wouldn't give up.

I also suffered for many years with my knee, and doctors telling me nothing was wrong, long standing x-rays showed the extent of damage that was done to my knee, which has left me with Osteoarthritis.

But dont give up, keep on fighting for your daughter, I would go back to your GP and get him to refer your daughter to another Orthopaedic Surgeon for a second opinon, this is your right.

Good luck.

DeeDee
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

support