Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cartilage  (Read 898 times)

Offline chas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cartilage
« on: March 02, 2005, 08:51:17 PM »
As an active 43 yr old male contemplating ACL reconstruction surgery later this month and with damaged medial meniscus cartliage, does anyone know whether damaged cartilage is affected by this operation?  Thanks for earlier reply.

Offline GeekGal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Geek Habitat
Re: cartilage
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 09:17:52 PM »
As an active 43 yr old male contemplating ACL reconstruction surgery later this month and with damaged medial meniscus cartliage, does anyone know whether damaged cartilage is affected by this operation?  Thanks for earlier reply.

Cartilage (meniscus) tears are fairly common when an ACL has torn completely and requires reconstruction. Typically, while your OS is in there he'll repair (cut out/smooth rough edges on) your damaged medial meniscus as well. I had 2 torn meniscus that were repaired during my ACL reconstruction on February 4, 2005. I made sure my surgeon was aware of/remembered the tears, but it's pretty much standard operating procedure to check on the health of the meniscus during ACL recon.
- Shannon

** My Knee Journal: ** http://geekhabitat.com/topics/wellness/knee-health/

Hamstring autograft ACL reconstruction
Tears of Medial (40% removed) & Lateral (Repaired w/Bioscrew) Meniscus
Surgery: February 4, 2005

Offline chas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:42:05 AM »
Thanks - it's more to do with how much cartilage I have left now.  One consultant told me I had very little medial  meniscus left and that arthritis had set in.  When i have my ACL reconstruction in 10 days time, is there anything thay could do to improve this cartilage/arthritis problem.  If not, it seems as though having an ACL now (24 yrs after the original injury could be a case of 'shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted'?

Offline GeekGal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Geek Habitat
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 05:48:29 PM »
That's a discussion for you and your OS, but I'd think as long as that ACL is blown your knee is going to be moving in ways it was never engineered to and when the cartilage is gone that means bone on bone rubbing and eventually a total knee replacement.  Better to stabilize the knee now, even if the cartilage is in poor condition and arthritis is beginning to be present.  But like I said, that's something you should inquire about with your physician.
- Shannon

** My Knee Journal: ** http://geekhabitat.com/topics/wellness/knee-health/

Hamstring autograft ACL reconstruction
Tears of Medial (40% removed) & Lateral (Repaired w/Bioscrew) Meniscus
Surgery: February 4, 2005

support