Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Foget the Patellectomy/ater Release.  (Read 1651 times)

Offline emmycat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Foget the Patellectomy/ater Release.
« on: December 19, 2002, 08:22:06 AM »
Hi, It's Emily 32 yrs old.. bad subluxations.
I posted here a few days ago about getting a patellectomy for my recurring subluxations. Thanks for all your replies. I have decided I was crazy to consider it. I went to a new OS today and he took X-Rays from an angle no other doctor did. I couldn't beleive how far out of the groove they sit... litlerally on the lateral peak. He offerd a TTT of a Lateral Release. I have decided to go with the release. He said, I am beyond PT only. I agree Quads of steel couldn't realign these puppies. The OS said he has done about 300 LRs, and while some haven't fixed the problem..he said he has never released too much to where they pop to the inside. (I thoght mine already did, but it was just pain from torn tissue after they popped laterally). So what I want to hear from you guys is you stories of lateral release. Good Bad Ugly. Recovery time? Thanks, You guys are really helping me. Emily

Offline Liz_-_UK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Together is the bestest place to be
Re: Foget the Patellectomy/ater Release.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 10:33:34 AM »
Hi again Emily,

I'm glad you have made a decision - it sounds like you have a good OS there.

I have had two LRs, one on each knee. The first one worked for about six months and i ended up having to have a TTT. On the other knee it went really well and has lasted for eight years now.

Rehab was hard, but i got there in the end! If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Good luck!

Liz
xxx
03/95 - LR on left knee, 08/95 - LR on right knee, 03/98 - failed TTT left knee. Several scopes. 12/01 TTT and LR on left knee. Great for a while but now more problems.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 05:14:35 PM »
Well I am glad that aren't going to take your knee caps out just yet...that's a huge step.
I am 8 months post LR, my LR caused a hemarthrosis to develop in my knee and I had to have a scope to remove that 4 days post op. But other than being sick from the pressure in the joint I was alright.  I went to PT starting two weeks post op, would have been sooner had I not developed the hematoma,  I went to PT 5 days a week for about 9 weeks. ;) Then I went away to work.  My knee was good for a month or so and then...wham...not good anymore. I saw a new OS this morning and he suggested I go back to PT and strengthen and if/when there is no improvement he will do another LR but open this time, so you have a better view of what is going on in the joint. :-/ Hate surgery, but hey what ya gonna do.  So my LR failed..but some of them work. You are going to get some ugly stories on there though I can tell you right now.
Take care, Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 06:50:41 PM »
Sounds like you made a really good choice not to have the patellectomy!

My LR did exactly what it was supposed to do. My patella now sits in the groove. I had so much scar tissue following previous surgeries, my OS actually had to do a medial release, too. That's not very common! I started partial weightbearing on crutches, was in PT within 3 days of surgery, graduated to a cane in a week, went back to my desk job at five weeks. I ended up with a total of nine months of PT, but that was because of other problems I have that continue to cause pain and limitations.

Sometimes they also need do a medial reefing (tightening the medial side) while doing a LR. If so, your recovery and rehab time will be longer.

It is important to know exactly what the OS expects to accomplish with the LR. If I had thought it would solve all my problems, I would say it was a failure. But my OS was sure I knew she hoped for a 50% improvement, and I eventually got that.

Janet

Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.