Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: First Time Knee Problems  (Read 947 times)

Offline TimothyBridges

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
First Time Knee Problems
« on: March 02, 2005, 01:08:53 PM »
Saturday I painted a small garage, not much ladder work and didn't over exert myself but on my way home (an hour drive) when I got out of the van my legs were stiff. Didn't think much about it. Figured I must be getting old, I will feel better in the morning, but in the morning I felt worse. I can still walk okay, I just favor that left knee a little. Monday the rest of my legs are back to normal, and on Tuesday I noticed my left knee is swollen a little bit. I am taking anti inflammatory (like Advil) and rubbing down with heat rub. Thought I would take the day off and do some research, found this web site, figured out how to post, and waiting to go to urgent care with no insurance. This will be all out of pocket since I am without a job that has benefits at the present time. I feel a cracking at my knee, but it is like my other joints that pop they are not swollen.  Reading a few post it looks like I might need a Knee MRI, or do I wait.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: First Time Knee Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 02:06:26 PM »
Hi and welcom to KNEEgeaks, we're glad you found us but sad that you needed to.
Yes you MIGHT need an MRI but a good competent Dr especially and OS can learn a lot from x-rays and a history and examination of the knee. 

Do you have a family Dr?  I have found in my experience that Urgent care facilities are not always staffed with the best Dr's and they  don't always have time to do a competent knee exam.  Your GP would be your best start.

H U G s     and best wishes ! ! !
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 02:25:29 PM »
I agree with Rozzie that a primary care physician is a better place to start then an urgent care facility.   Also, a good doctor can tell alot from xrays and examiniation.   You may not want to use heat on the knee, you might want to try the RICE method. Rest, Ice , Compression and elevation.  Especially if you have some inflammation.. the drugs will help but ice can be amazing. :D 

GOODLUCK... hope you are back on your feet soon

Hugs and lot's of luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline TimothyBridges

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 03:08:33 PM »
Thanks, I am taking the day off today and getting an ice pack, compression is guess is an ACE bandage or one of those knee girttle.
I guess a ski weekend coming up would not be a good idea. I already have the resort booked and skis on hold for a week in the Virginia mountains.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 03:49:24 PM »
Ace Bandage..perfect idea.. I have 4 ice packs so that I always have some cold... so I can rotate for intense times. Here in Canada anyway at the walmart they have the gel ones that stay soft.. and they are only 2.50$ canadian..so they're probably even cheaper in the Us. I'm only assuming you are in the US..

Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support