Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Am I being unreasonable???  (Read 947 times)

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Am I being unreasonable???
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:14:11 PM »
I had many problems with my previous OS (Ill call him Dr.Z).  He never really touched my knee before he did my LR and post-op he said he would only give me a script for PT if I REALLY wanted to go (which I did) and once the LR failed he seemed really not to care.

So needless to say when my dad tore his meniscus and was refered to Dr.Z (by family doc AND other patients) I was not pleased.  However I kept my mouth shut, because I knew he was supposed to be a good doc, and perhaps I just had a bad experince. 

The first red flag went up when my dad went to his first appointment with Dr Z.  Same day I went to see my new OS.  I was telling my dad how pleased I was with my new doc, I was comparing him to Dr.Z.  I siad "he never even touched my knee", my dad got mad and said I had a different problem stop criticizing Z, so I said, "well did he touch your knee?" my dad got mad and just walked out (im assuming he didn't!) 

Second red flag went up when my dad had surgery to remove the torn meniscus.  My mom said Z came out to her afterwards and basically saod nothing.  She went to see my dad and found that Z had explained both the surgery and after-care to my semi awake dad, and of course he could only remember half of what he said.  My mom was mad, but was able to al least get some info from the nurse, but got no reponse when she asked why the doc explained to surgery to a patient waking up from anethesia.

So now here comes red flag number three and the reason why my dad and I are not on speaking terms right now.  Hes two weeks post-op, went to see the doc and the doc said "you look great, you can go back to work tomorrow, you don't need PT".  Ok my dad works on houses, he climbs 40 foot ladders.  He also can't bend his leg past 90 degrees and limps when he walks.  He convinced the doc to give him another week out of work, but am i wrong in thinking he should be in PT?

I know I may be overreacting, but my dad is 53, and Im worried that hes going to get a lot of scar tissue, and that this could really affect his recovery. 

If you made it to the end of this, i would really appriciate some feedback!!

Thanks, ~Patti
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 08:16:36 PM by PattiAnn237 »
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

shadehawk

Re: Am I being unreasonable???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 08:23:56 PM »
Patti,

Sorry that you have such a bad experience with the first OS - it happens.  I also understand that you are worried about your father.  It is terrible that the OS did not talk to your mother and tell her the protocol after surgery ( seems pointless to tell someone half asleep ). 
I do not know about the PT, but here is an article that I found and there is definately a recovery period with this surgery.  PT is always good and I understand your concerns.

http://www.alphaklinik.com/torn+meniscus.html

Hopefully, your father will do fine with his recovery.

Sending hugs,

Shade

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 08:28:44 PM »
Patti, Unfortunately, the OS you describe sounds exactly like mine, I never saw him preop or postop and he never explained anything to me, but made sure when he did his dictation of the preop, surgical record, that he stated he had explained all the possible problems to me. HE also had been working on my knee for over three years, and has maybe touched my knee 2 times in his office in three years, NEVER SINCE MY tkr revision  in OCTOBER. MY physical therapist states that my problem is  the knee mechanics, and as I have not made ANY difference in flexion, etc or reduced the swelling in the leg, inover four months of PT 3 x week, it will not get better until the mechanics are made right. SHE went on to say she talked to the OS and he told her there is nothing more he can do . I called his office and they told me "He is not ready to give up" The point here is that usually a male orhopod who acts this way has a better relationship with MEN. FOR some reason, they don't respond the same way to women as they do to men. MEn come away from my OS feeling like he is the best,and every female patient feels like she has been neglected. THERE is some thing that I can't differentiate that goes unsaid that makes the male patient satisfied. Perhaps, he could have said something to your father indicating he was a strong patient,and would not need PT, at lease, he knew he was not ready to go back to work. I once heard a 55 year old or so Male patient state that he had had a scope, and the my OS came into the room and basically told him, he would feel like a truck ran over him tonight, but to get up and in the morning he couldgo back to work. THE GUY said he awoke and couldbarely get out of bed, let alone walk or go to work. Just an idea, not wanting to set off an argument about the sexes. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 08:41:59 PM »
Hey PAtti..

how frustrating..but I just wanted to say that my Dad had a meniscus repair and had no PT...this was his choice, but it's not quite the same as a soft tissue surgery like a LR.  BUt I know what you are saying...
My OS always comes and talks to me after Surgery...not my Parents, but there is written instructions. HE does this because he feels that I am now an adult.. so he thinks I can handle it. I like it better that way..but that's just me.  I hope you and your Dad make up soon... :-\ That's awful that you guys are on the outs because of this.  Maybe you should just agree to disagree.  :-\

I'm glad that you've found another OS, that you can feel more compfortable with.

Hugs
Linds
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 08:45:00 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 05:52:58 AM »
Hello, Dr Z doesn't sound like a very friendly man, however i had two arthroscopies to repair a torn meniscus and didnt have physio. It took a while (about 2-3 weeks) until it was back to normal but it got there by itself. Mind you i am only 20.
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

support