Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Almost 5 months post op ACL reconstructionm  (Read 808 times)

Offline Footballman212

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Almost 5 months post op ACL reconstructionm
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:07:10 PM »
Hello,
    On october 12th I had my acl reconstructed using a new technique called a double bundle. In which two acl's replace the torn one. Now i am almost 5 months out of sugery and done with PT. I have several questions still concerning my knee. My ROM is still not completely back as I still have swelling and stiffness. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to restore my normal ROM. Also my hamstrings are very weak and seem nonresponsive to exercise. thanks alot

Offline fourscrews

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Almost 5 months post op ACL reconstructionm
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 06:07:34 PM »
I got stuck in my first surgery on my range of motion.  It was from a build-up of scar tissue due to a lack of working out the first month out of surgery.  To fix this I ended up getting a manipulation done where you get put out under anesthesia and the doctors bend your knee for you.  However, this has in some circumstances led to other knee injuries.

Another option is to get is scoped.  The doctors go in and cut away scar tissue arthriscopically.

As for the hamstrings, the first excercise they gave me was to lay on my back and put my leg flat on the ground.  Then I was supposed to push my leg into the ground, activating the hamstring.  Another excercise is laying on your stomach and lifting up your repaired leg into the air.  You can't lift it very far, but it works out the hamstring.

Another way your PT can deal with this is by using these little electric shocking pads.  They put these little sticky pads on your muscle that are hooked up by a wire to a machine.  The machine determines how long and how hard of a shock it sends to your muscle.  I don't know if I should be calling it a shock however.  It doesn't hurt, it just forces your muscle to contract.
I am one of the lucky one's with bad knee genetics!!!!
7 knee surgeries between my Dad, sister, brother, and myself.
Insurance has got to love us..........

Offline Footballman212

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Almost 5 months post op ACL reconstructionm
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 10:11:32 PM »
I heard of manipulation before but how does it cause knee injury? When i was in PT they would lay me on my stomach and just go to town trying to bend my knee. Is there any risk of injury in this? thanks for your post!