Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1st time knee injury  (Read 1023 times)

Offline gcaz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
1st time knee injury
« on: February 28, 2005, 10:44:10 PM »
Hi all,

I found this site while educating myself re. my new injury.  I'm from the U.S., but was in Austria skiing.  The first day (of course!) I had an awkward crash after hitting an unseen mogul during an obscuring snow flurry.  Bindings did not release.  Laid there for awhile and then, feeling nothing more than a "warm" sensation in my right knee, got up and tried to ski again.  Right knee gave way as soon as I tried to turn and I knew I was in trouble. 

Popped off the skis and tried to walk to the restaurant and the rest of the group, but my knee bucked under my weight.  Got a ride down the gondola with the help of ski patrol, was taken to the doctor in town who x-rayed and examined me.  Diagnosis: ACL rupture (Lachmann test +, stable against varisation and valgisation, no swelling, no tenderness, no sign of bone lesion on X-ray.)

I can walk with a brace and have crutches to take the load off if I want.  Just got back to the U.S. over the weekend and have an appt. with an OS on Thursday.

I'm 34 y/o and moderately to very active -- was just getting serious about mountain biking again and hoping to compete in June.

Now, after reading more, I'm concerned that the degree of my knee instability might also portend meniscus damage (just after I started to get my head wrapped around all the nasty stuff associated with ACL replacement).

Any thoughts, ideas, or help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm pretty bummed out at the moment, but trying to keep a good attitude.  The worst part is that I don't have any pain now and it's hard knowing you have to get a lot worse (on purpose) before you can get better, and knowing that there are risks to the procedure.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 10:51:34 PM by gcaz »
2/20/05 - Ruptured ACL skiing
4/20/05 - ACL reconstructed using hamstring autograft

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: 1st time knee injury
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 12:12:16 AM »
Best to go to a good doctor.  If you have meniscus damage, early interviention is optimal if it is possible for them to repair the meniscus.  You want to try to have your meniscus saved rather than cut out if possible.  Good luck.  The ACL can be dealt with at a later date not so imperative right now as seeing if you can salvage your meniscus if indeed it is torn.  It may not be and your instability might be froim ACL or your meniscus may be torn but your ACL may be fine. 

Go to get an MRI.  However, the fact that you weren't in agonizing pain after doing your damage is a good sign.  In the meantime, try to minimize your swelliing by elevating leg and icing unti you find out what is going on.  If you want recommendation on docs in your area, this website has some recommendations also feel fre to P.M. me.

Feel Better,

NIck
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline gcaz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 12:18:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply and the encouragement.  Where are the recommednations?  I've got an appointment with this doc:

William D. Prickett, M.D., has joined the Tucson Orthopaedic Institute. Dr. Prickett, a native of Tucson, is an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine with an emphasis on arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, knee and elbow.

A graduate of Rincon High School, where his father coached, Dr. Prickett was named All-City quarterback. He continued his education at the University of Arizona, majored in exercise and sport science, lettered in football as a U of A Wildcat quarterback (starting against UCLA and Miami), graduated cum laude, and met his future wife, Jill.

Dr. Prickett completed medical school at Emory University in Atlanta where he had the opportunity to work with the US Olympic Committee on drug testing during the summer games. His orthopaedic residency was fulfilled at Washington University in St. Louis, followed by a fellowship in sports medicine and shoulder surgery in New York City at The Hospital for Special Surgery Cornell University. As part of his fellowship, he spent a year working with the New York Giants (NFL) to gain more insight into taking care of athletes. Dr. Prickett has participated in a number of research projects and participates as teaching faculty at various courses, including the upcoming AAOS Shoulder and Elbow course in October.
2/20/05 - Ruptured ACL skiing
4/20/05 - ACL reconstructed using hamstring autograft

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:38:02 AM »
There is a woman on this site named Heather M. She is one of the most active members on this site and- I believe- is from Arizona.  You may want to get a recommendation from her of Arizona docs or if she knows your guy.  Not that she knows everyone, but she knows a lot. 

If you are on this page.  Look up on the bar with all the links.  Click on website and you will see a further link to orthopaedic surgeons.  Click on that for recommendatioins of surgeons in your  area.  You have come to a good place for recommendations and advice.  There are a lot of tainterd knee veterans here. 

Do a search for Heather M. using search above and see whom she uses in Arizona.

Good Luck,

Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

support