Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Medial Meniscus tear for 6 years - surgery??  (Read 935 times)

Offline Brennan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Meniscus tear for 6 years - surgery??
« on: February 28, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »
Sorry if this is similar to other queries! I have had a torn medial meniscus for 6 years now. Originally my surgeon said he would not operate as it was not really affecting my day to day life. 6 years on it is still OK day to day but aches after sport for a day or 2 and hurts if I bend my knee too much. A new surgeon, following an MRI scan, says he is prepared to operate and remove the torn section. Will I regret this or have I nothing to lose? What are the long term problems with keeping a torn meniscus over having part of it removed? I am 26 and am slightly fed up with having a dodgy knee should I opt for surgery and stop my moaning? Thanks for any advice

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: Medial Meniscus tear for 6 years - surgery??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 10:31:48 PM »
HI there Brennan

Tricky question here......
Technically.....it is a simple and routine surgery and many people find that it gives them a great improvement in doing things that previosuly bothered them....BUT...it does not always go so well as some stories on this board will attest to......a lot of it depends on where the tear is and how big it is...if it is in the anterior portion of the meniscus (front) then it cannot be repaired in most cases and trimming is the only option....this normally does not involve too large a portion of the meniscus.
However, a tear at the posterior of the meniscus that is not repairable usually involves removing a lot more (especially the posterior horn) and this can cause big problems further down the line....

Ideally you need to find out where the tear is and if the surgeon is prepared to do a repair if it is feasable...though very often it is not as only a small portion of the meniscus has blood supply and can heal....
If it could be repaired though this is the better option as you get to keep the meniscus though I would have thought that after 6 years or so the damage may need removing??

Have a read of the link below to help you weigh up the pros and cons of whether the surgery is worth it....which unfortunately only you can ultimately decide :)

All the best

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_04_meniscus/tears.html

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries/LE/Knee/meniscal_injuries.htm
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline 2knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 11:00:15 PM »
I also had a tear (partial medial) for 5 plus years--catching with biking, eliptical, driving manual...I decided to have the surgery  because I enjoy being active and could choose the best time to have the surgery verses an injury at a time I was not mentally prepared and didn't have the time to heal.  The down side is anything can go wrong, but I hadn't spoken with anyone who had had a bad experience!  This is a good site to examine those things--

I have not had a smooth recovery...my knee was tight, doctor had to go behind a medial tendon to trim meniscus causing bruising to the tendon--tendon pain restricted ROM--then scar tissue developed further restricting ROM--may need return to surgery for that. 

But not saying I regret it yet--I'll decide that in a few months.  My OS said if I was a couch potato he would have discouraged me from having the surgery, but I'm not!  And cortisone shots were not an option (I hate shots).

Look up web sites...Go in with eyes open, but positive!

:)  WLK

Offline Brennan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 09:44:44 AM »
Thanks guys I'll try and get more info out of my OS and will let you know how it goes :)