Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Meniscectomy --it wasn't supposed to be like this  (Read 1714 times)

Offline 2knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial Meniscectomy --it wasn't supposed to be like this
« on: February 28, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »
Had left leg medial meniscal tear 5 or 6 years ago, encouraged to wait until it really bothered me.  When it started catching often-- riding my bike, eliptical trainer or driving manual car--locking, but able to loosen shortly after--I decided to plan surgery for the winter, so knee would be better by spring.   Doctor said (typically) I would be back active as before at about 6-8 weeks--and wouldn't remember the surgery happened at 12 weeks.   Alas, the doctor had to go in medially behind a tendon to trim the meniscus which caused extreme bruising  :o.  He also removed 2 pieces of floating cartilage and smoothed under knee cap.  The swelling took 2 weeks to resolve, with icing/elevation/PT and using crutches when tired.  The first 2-3 weeks were sooo painful walking because of the medial tendon that was bruised.  I suppose that kept me from getting the best ROM I should have early on. 

PT started at 13 days post op- ice with stim--ultrasound and massage--straight leg raises.  My flexion was 72 degrees that day.  By 5 weeks post op flexion is 106 degrees, cannot fully extend, so it is uncomfortable to stand on that leg.  Am taking Lodine
(antiinflammatory), and work very hard at PT (now doing a dozen different exercises) and at home or gym.

Still feels like a constrictive band is around my knee, above and below, restricting movement.  Still pain below knee also.  See doctor March 8th, he will decide then (if ROM not 120) whether to go back in to break up scar tissue.  I think at this point I will opt to have him operate again...I want full ROM not just 120!!  Doctor is sports medicine Physician for a professional baseball team-even though I am "just an active mom- not a professional athlete," I believe he is understanding of my desire to stay as active as possible.  At this point have no concerns about his skill. 

I had a previous surgery on left foot for plantar fascitis which didn't work, formed scar tissue--perhaps there is something to a genetic predisposition for producing scar tissue.

Thanks for listening, God is helping me not be too discouraged!!

WLK
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 02:43:47 PM by 2knees »

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: Partial Meniscectomy --it wasn't supposed to be like this
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 11:47:37 PM »
Hey,

Hope everything works out for you. I am surprised that it too you 5-6 years...that's a good long time to be able to deal with a tear, especially with being active.

Keep up the PT, every little bit helps even though it's just painful and it seems like you are getting nowhere sometimes. Plus, keep the lines of communication open with your doc!  I love mine too and it does make all the difference!

Good luck,

Goose!
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline bepsilon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Partial Meniscectomy --it wasn't supposed to be like this
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 09:18:04 PM »
Hi

If you had plantar fasciitis - it sounds as if you are a pronator?  Having some aorthotics made up may help alleviate the problem.

Bepsilon.