Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pre-surgery PT?  (Read 814 times)

Offline subdude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pre-surgery PT?
« on: February 28, 2005, 03:00:47 PM »
   Hi everyone, i'm scheduled for reconstructive surgery (ACLand torn meniscus) on 4/13. Being 6 weeks away I thought it would be help to do some pre-surgery PT on the leg to help strengthen it. Are there any excersizes I could do such as the stationary bike to help? I also have to keep in mind that I don't want to create further injury to the knee by doing the wrong excersizes.  ???

Thank You

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Pre-surgery PT?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 03:33:49 PM »
I've never had an ACL injury, so maybe i'm not the best person to respond, but what about like STraight Leg raises and that kind of thing?  You could check out the exercise section or the gym section on the main Kneeguru page. Goodluck with the surgery and goodluck working those muscles.. it is a good plan, should make recovery easier. ;)

Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline fuffy

• Forum Faithful
  • To ride or not to ride - What a stupid question!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 05:33:21 PM »
Hi subdude ::)
I am having ACL reconstruction -  don't know when yet - and possibly debridement of cartilage and possibly something on my MCL.
My knee got VERY stiff - locked, seized up, stuck, immobile and hugely swollen in the 3 months before I had my arthroscopy. After the arthroscopy I was sent for PT. I was shown ex's to help strengthen the ACL: Initially just tghtening the quads (making lumpy knees) and trying to press it flat into the bed. Then moved onto straight leg lifts and bending the knee straight from a sitting position. Then went to the pool & did lots of stairstepping and kicking under water.
I am starting on static bike w/ very little resistance tomorrow, and am allowed to go to aquarobics this week as well, so long as I don't overdo it. PT says this will help keep my metabolism functioning properly so I don't get any more overweight in the next few weeks before my op.
All of this has helped give me my mobility back. I can actually move around my home, but I still have to go up stairs one at a time like a toddler. It also gives me the feeling that I am doing something active toeards my improvement (and sanity!!!).
I would definately say you should do exercises, but perhaps under the supervision of a PT. And don't get discouraged! There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Hope this is helpful to you! Let us know how you get on! ::)
Fuffy
Arthroscopy in January. Follow up 22.2 05. MRI. Now awaiting ACL reconstruction and possible MCL and meniscus work on April 1st

Offline DaisyRoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 05:02:45 AM »
I also tore my ACL and meniscus snow skiing two weeks ago and am scheduled for surgery on 3/30.  I went to pt and they gave me some exercises to do (like what is outlined below by another post), mostly to strengthen the quads and hamstrings.  These are very easy, and if you want more info, let me know.  The pt said that I can ride a stationary bike (on no resistance), or go water walking at the pool.  I decided on my own, to go ahead and swim laps with a small, foam "swimming buoy" between my legs so I don't use my legs at all when I swim.  This has been a tremendous help to me as I was very active with skiing/walking several miles a day.  Good luck to you! :)

support