Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscal tear braces??  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Dementia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscal tear braces??
« on: February 28, 2005, 12:54:39 AM »
Hello all, I am new here and have lots of questions to anyone that can answer me.  About 8 years ago I was in a car accident and my legs were crushed inbetween the seat and the steering column in the process.  Since then I have had pain in both knees.  About 2 years ago I went to a sports doctor and they informed me that I had a unstable patella.   It was rocking from side to side,  now about a week ago I went again and they also informed me that I had a meniscal tear. 

It is going to be at least 4 months before I am able to go through with the surgery to repair the damage to the meniscus, so I was wondering if any of you knew of a good brace that might be able to help with both problems.

Please ask me some questions about my knee and the pain cause like I said I am new at this and not sure quite what I should say.  Thank you for all yer help.

Dem

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
Re: Meniscal tear braces??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:07:31 AM »
Well im still sort of new to all this myself but I learn fast and I will stick my neck out and have a go! Please correct me if im wrong!

The sort of knee brace you will need is one that stops twisting to protect the meniscus and one that will keep the patella in place. So something with hinged metal inserts down the sides should protect it from twisting and a patella hole which will stop it moving.

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/patellastabilizerkneebrace.htm

Something like that I think but with more solid side bits. If I am right try and find a few that you can afford and speak to your doctor about which would be best to help protect your condition.

Why cant you get the surgery for  4 month?

And i'm not certain my advice is right. Like I said i'm still learning but I learn fast.

Offline Dementia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Meniscal tear braces??
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 03:13:23 AM »
I cant get the surgery for 4 months because I am going to wait till I can take vacation.  A few more bits of info for you.  I work about 16 hrs a day as an electrician so I need something that can breathe well.  I have seen lots of braces and the only one I know of right now that can offer somewhat what I need is the donjoy drytex playmaker.

support