Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain Management and cold therapy questions for acl surgery  (Read 833 times)

Offline lishajoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain Management and cold therapy questions for acl surgery
« on: February 27, 2005, 08:08:54 AM »
Any opinion on pain management,  meds thru a catheter with a pump. How about using a cold therapy pack . 
Has anyone tried either or both of these methods and have any advice? ???  I will be having ACL surgery next week. 

Offline fuffy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • To ride or not to ride - What a stupid question!
Re: Pain Management and cold therapy questions for acl surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 08:28:34 AM »
Welcome! ;)
It was 6 weeks before they even looked for my ACL tear. But when they did my arthroscopy I had ice packs 4 times daily which really helped with the pain and swelling. They wouldn't give me any stronger drugs than what I would normally take for a headache coz they didn't want me to feel like getting up and walking around.
Hope this helps and good luck!!! ::)
Fuffy
Arthroscopy in January. Follow up 22.2 05. MRI. Now awaiting ACL reconstruction and possible MCL and meniscus work on April 1st

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Pain Management and cold therapy questions for acl surgery
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 02:17:15 PM »
I've never had ACL surgery, but I have a Polar Care machine for cold therapy... and it's amazing, I can't imagine life wihtout it. IT is made by Breg Bracing.  www.breg.com  It continuously circulates cold water around the knee joint... I had to take very little pain meds when I was using this unit.  You might want to think about it.  ::) You just fill it up with ice , top it up with water and plug it in.  IT really helped me get my swelling under control after my surgeries.

Goodluck with your surgery

Linds  :D
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?