Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just had surgery....need a little help  (Read 1244 times)

Offline jamakindisaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Just had surgery....need a little help
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:57:37 PM »
I had surgery on Feb.24 @ 5 pm and no one told me what he did. I can not bear any weight and I am extremely nauseous. I know he was going by an MRI that had shown tears on my MCL, ACL, PCL and Medial menicus( possibly Lateral). I am in agony and just took of my bandages and was shocked at the amount of incisions and stitches. All I got from the nurse was scripts for PT and painkillers. I also have a follow up on March 10th. I have pics of my knee( seems that I have 4 incisions, and lots of blood). Anyone have same circumstance? PLease advise. Take care Everyone :)

Shannon
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 01:11:11 AM by jamakindisaster »

shadehawk

Re: Just had surgery....need a little help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 11:22:15 PM »
Shannon,

Sorry that you are having a hard time.  If I were you, I'd be calling my OS office and ask for a return call to let your OS know what is going on.  You should have been given some sort of guidelines to follow after surgery, I would have thought.  You certainly are entitled to know what to expect & what was done to you during surgery.  If you can't get a return call from your OS - why not try and get your appointment moved up abit.

Are you sure that you should be putting weight on your operated knee just 2 days after surgery?  You definately need to get some answers.......

Wish that I could help you more, but I am not familar with MCL, ACL & PCL tears. 

Good luck,  ;)

Shade
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:29:13 PM by Shade »

Offline Tbz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:24:58 PM »
Chances are that it's the drugs they gave you during surgery, and the drugs you're taking now that's making you sick.  I recommend that you try not to rely on painkillers.  Do your best to get off them A.S.A.P because many times drugs cause more harm that good in my opinion.

As far as not allowing weight on your knee, that's common.  When I got out of my surgery, I had a very similar problem, where I couldn't put any weight at all on my knees...I was also bleeding quite a bit.

It'll take a good week for things to calm down enough for you to walk again.  Take it nice and slow and don't rush anything or you'll probably risk another injury.

Offline GeekGal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Geek Habitat
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 11:43:19 PM »
I had surgery on Feb.24 @ 5 pm and no one told me what he did. I can not bear any weight and I am extremely nauseous. I know he was going by an MRI that had shown tears on my MCL, ACL, PCL and Medial menicus( possibly Lateral). I am in agony and just took of my bandages and was shocked at the amount of incisions and stitches. All I got from the nurse was scripts for PT and painkillers. I also have a follow up on March 10th. I have pics of my knee( seems that I have 4 incisions, and lots of blood). Anyone have same circumstance? PLease advise. Take care Evertone :)

Shannon

Your OS definitely owes you more information and also perhaps a change in prescriptions for your pain meds (which can cause nausea -- are you eating something before taking every dose? Most pain meds are pretty rough on the stomach and should be taken with food.)

Also, you probably should refrain from removing the bandages any more. I was instructed not to do anything to my dressings until 10 days post-op when my OS saw me for my first checkup. He then checked my knee and removed the dressings, replacing them with standard Band-Aids.

The number of incisions/holes you describe is normal for meniscus repair/removal and/or ACL reconstruction.  I had 6 holes total -- 4 portals (for inserting the camera, water/irrigator, and other tools), one tiny needle-like drain hole, one 1.5 to 2 inch long incision over my shin bone (still healing 22 days post-op) and one smaller incision/hole (about .5 inch) on the lateral side of my knee. 

Do call your OS and get some information. You're his/her patient and part of the job of a surgeon is to communicate with the patient both before AND AFTER surgery.  The first two weeks are crucial, and you need to be provided the proper care information to have the best chance of healing/recovery.
- Shannon

** My Knee Journal: ** http://geekhabitat.com/topics/wellness/knee-health/

Hamstring autograft ACL reconstruction
Tears of Medial (40% removed) & Lateral (Repaired w/Bioscrew) Meniscus
Surgery: February 4, 2005

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 04:30:31 AM »
I agree that you should contact your doctor.  Until you hear what was done, you should ice, elevate, take your pain meds AS PRESCRIBED and stay off the leg.  Please don't worry about painkillers or addiction--it's ridiculous to suffer when you don't have to.  You were prescribed pain meds for a reason, and as long as you use them as prescribed you will do just fine.  If you are on them longer than 10 days or so, you will need to gradually reduce them until you take none.  They are also best taken before pain gets severe, and always with food.  Ginger ale or seltzer water may help with your nausea, and peppermint tea or gingerbread cookies are both known for their anti-nausea properties.  I live on Brachs peppermint pinwheels hard candy after surgery, because percocet and cipro both made me pretty nauseous.  Mind you...I didn't lose any weight, just felt queasy!

Anyway, despite commonly repeated information, the pain meds are actually more 'benign' to your body than many other drugs routinely prescribed after surgery.  I'm not saying that you should take them willy nilly, or that they have no risks at all .  But they are better on your kidneys and liver than some of the other post-op meds used, like Toradol or high-dose antibiotics used for preventive care.  Even Tylenol or acetaminophen can be very dangerous taken in high doses over extended periods of time.  Taken as prescribed, your painkillers are a powerful tool in your arsenal for getting better.  They allow you to move the leg as directed without agony, and will reduce the possibility of you having muscle shut-down or severe scar tissue--both of which can happen when you have severe pain with no relief. 

Did your doctor/nurse give you any information on what you can be doing at home--like ankle pumps, quad sets, or straight leg raises?  Are you supposed to bend at all? Until you find out what procedure you had done, you actually don't really know how long you will be on pain meds, crutches, in PT, etc.  So until you know, just take the very best care of yourself that you can.  Take your pain meds as needed (keeping in mind that it's much easier to prevent severe pain than to make it go away once it's started up), and your anti-inflams and other medications as directed.  Take the anti-inflammatories to help reduce swelling.  And apply ice every hour--even if you have thick bandages, you can put an icepack or bag of frozen peas BEHIND your knee, which will help.  Also, ice applied to the base of the quads above the kneecap is better than nothing, even if you can't get the cold right over the knee. 

Eat well during this time--fruits like bananas, grapes and pears are easy to digest.  Try soup and toast--you know, the bland and boring stuff that is easy to keep down.  Soda crackers rock.  And when you're ready, start with something like plain brown rice and chicken breast.  Ice cream in a bowl or in a store-bought ice cream sandwhich makes a great snack that coats your stomach and helps keep you from getting nauseous when you take pain meds.  I live on Skinny Cow ice cream sandwhiches post-op!

Above all, rest.  Lots.  Sleep is critical to getting better.  I hope you are feeling a little better in the next few days.  Usually the first 3 days post-op are the worst, and then you start to see improvements.

Take care of yourself.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline rawsushi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 08:25:27 AM »
I agree that you should contact your doctor.  Until you hear what was done, you should ice, elevate, take your pain meds AS PRESCRIBED and stay off the leg.  Please don't worry about painkillers or addiction--it's ridiculous to suffer when you don't have to.  You were prescribed pain meds for a reason, and as long as you use them as prescribed you will do just fine.  If you are on them longer than 10 days or so, you will need to gradually reduce them until you take none.  They are also best taken before pain gets severe, and always with food.  Ginger ale or seltzer water may help with your nausea, and peppermint tea or gingerbread cookies are both known for their anti-nausea properties.  I live on Brachs peppermint pinwheels hard candy after surgery, because percocet and cipro both made me pretty nauseous.  Mind you...I didn't lose any weight, just felt queasy!

Heather's quotes are always so great... and difficult to follow as they are so well thought out.

Everything she said!
Carpe Diem