Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL - MRI  (Read 2487 times)

Offline stervy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL - MRI
« on: February 26, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
I had a high impact skiing injury that involved a poor landing on a jump. According to my MRI that was taken 1 week after the injury (4weeks ago); I sprained the MCL and have deep bone bruising on the tibia and complete disruption of the acl at the junction of the proximal middle thirds. The meniscus is intact and has no dmage. All in all my knee is very stable other than the sprain. I have been in rehab for the past 4 weeks since the accident and the knee is healing very well. When my knee gave out I did not hear the famous ACL "Popping Sound". Is there a chance the MRI may be wrong regarding the ACL since there was so much swelling and blood associated with the sprain and bruising?  I am hopeful and it may be false hope that I may have a partial ACL tear and would like to continue rehab and then get another MRI or have the knee scoped.

Offline fourscrews

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: ACL - MRI
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:01:51 PM »
My doctor told me when I had my MRI that they are never 100% correct.  For me, for instance, they told me I had a torn ACL and nothing appeared to be wrong with the meniscus.  However, when they operated, they ended up having to shave off some frayed meniscus
I am one of the lucky one's with bad knee genetics!!!!
7 knee surgeries between my Dad, sister, brother, and myself.
Insurance has got to love us..........

Offline BayBells

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL - MRI - report contradicts physical exam--???
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 07:47:45 PM »
My 16 yr old daughter also had MRI with report that read, "wavy, discontinous acl - suggestive of tear..." and lateral meniscus tear...bone bruise, no problems in any other part of knee...." She had the MRI 24 hours after falling to the floor in a basketball game.  She felt her knee cap slide out and then back in, which was painful and then she fell. She had just landed from a jump and was pivoting to pass the ball when this happened...no popping sound, no pain after 5-10 minutes. Minimal swelling but sore and stiff for the next day or two.  Doctor saw some laxity in the joint so thought we should rule out an ACL tear but his only finding when he saw her was sprained MCL and maybe a bone bruise.   

PT and his partner both found no signs of ACL tear -- they did two exams to judge that and they think her only symptoms are of the MCL sprain...no problem with meniscus. They think she'll back and running in no time, without surgery. 

I read that for teenagers an MRI is much less accurate than for adults, especially for meniscal damage, but this MRI seems to be so opposite what appears to be wrong with her knee...we'll know more soon I hope.

It's been almost three weeks since the accident and after 3x a week of PT she feels great and has been running...she's a very strong, fast athlete so maybe she's able to stabilize her knee even though the acl is torn...or maybe it's not torn at all???? She's very hopeful that she'll be playing lacrosse this season and would do so with a brace if she has to...We're SO confused...any ideas or thoughts on this?  Thanks!!!

Offline lisa_elliott

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:05:07 PM »
I completly tore my ACL last year, and I didn't hear the famous popping sound.  I had a MRI one week after the injury as well, and it showed the complete rupture as well as servere bone brusing.  Both my sergon and Physio told me that most of my swelling and brusing as well as the pain was caused from the bone brusing.

I would think that most of your brusing and swelling is associated with the bone brusing, especially if your knee is stable other than that.  There is one thing that you can do to check if your ACL is torn completly and most physio's can do it. 

It's called the Lachman test.  They simply just get you to lie on your back and place their knee under your knee then they hold behind your calf and above your hamstring and try and pull the shin up.  If it feels really loose or keeps going then you most proberly have torn your ACL. But if it grabs then it is still intact.

However I think that if you are still not convinced with the verdict then you should get another MRI, just for piece of mind.

Lisa :-\

P.S where you snow skiing or water skiing?
August, 2004: Netball Injury, complete ACL tear (right knee).
September, 2004: ACL reconstruction, hamstring graft
February, 2005: First Water Ski Racing Event. (Placed 3rd)
March, 2005: Second Water Ski Racing Event. (tore Medial Ligament)

Offline c_soccer16

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »
Hey,

I'd just like to add to this post that sometimes they can't tell as easily. I went to an orthopedic doctor and he told me I had torn my ACL without even having an MRI and sent me to the OS who said he came to the same verdict. They shipped me off to physio to prepare for the surgery.

I never heard the popping sound. My knee was extremely stable (turns out my ACL had rolled up under my kneecap, providing stability). I got back ROM really quickly and I didn't have a great deal of swelling. It was only painful the 1st day. My PT had done the lachman test and felt that my knee wasn't lax enough to have been torn (again, the stability provided by the ACL rolling up under my kneecap). All this led various PT's to believe that I'd go in for my scope and there wouldn't be a tear.

I'd say go in expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Going into my scope believing my PT led to a lot of disappointment and made me go in unprepared for what to expect folllowing surgery.

I wish you luck!
2003 - L ACL reconstruction (Patella tendon)
2003 - L meniscus repair (2 darts and stitches)

Offline Jim777

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 12:27:39 PM »
Sorry to say this, but I understand MRI's are pretty conclusive with regard to ACL tears - see the pictures in the following link:

http://www.emedx.com/emedx/diagnosis_information/knee_disorders/acl_mri_pictures.htm

I tore my acl and there was very little laxity, but the MRI was very clear on my damage and once scoped it just confirmed what was on the MRI - not pretty or good news I'm afraid - torn acl, bucket handle tear to the meniscus and very bad damage to the cartilage on the back of my patella.  I knew I had a bucket handle tear as my knee was locked, but I was not expecting to hear I had the other problems.  I now know that I had torn my acl earlier in the 2003 football season when I thought I had just sprained it (even went to my GP and hospital to have things checked out and they found no laxity in my joint) I rehabbed and my knee felt fine, but the lack of acl clearly caused further damage to my knee when I carried on playing. It was only following my knee locking out that my bigger problems came to light.

I have had a partial menisectomy (Nov 2003) , acl reconstruction (Feb 2004) and now aci (Jan 2005) for the patella damage.  All operations have gone well and I am now 6 weeks post op following the ACI and am able to walk at home. My goal is to get back playing football again (I am 32 years old).  If I had been aware of my torn ACL and had it reconstructed before carrying on playing, I could have been back on the pitch by now - as it is, the best I can hope for is to be playing in 2006.