Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: what exactly is tension band wiring?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline spacecadet

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
what exactly is tension band wiring?
« on: February 26, 2005, 01:15:36 PM »
Hi everyone! ::)
i have tension band wiring around my patella.. it was smashed 3 1/2 weeks ago into quite a few pieces, and the surgeon said he'd rather attempt to repair it than remove the knee, even though some bits of bone were missing.
i am unsure of what exactly the wiring is attached to.. on my x ray i can clearly see 2 hooks going up into soft tissue, what are they attached to?? tendons? my surgeon seems so busy in our local hospital that i always forget to ask the really important questions until i'm home again!
my latest x ray shows loads of space(2-3 mm) still inbetween the bits of bone that make up my patella, is this ok?
i'm trying to bend my knee 40 degrees 3 times a day, it feels awfully tight like it will "pop" open any time, i take it this is normal?
thanks to anyone who reads this and replies! any info or advice will be much appreciated, i dont know anyone who knows anything about knees except at the hospital and its 3 weeks until my next appointment! ???

spacecadet (sharon) xx ::)
smashed patella (& arm) in car crash - 3rd feb 05
wired knee (tension band) & plated ulna & radius - 3rd feb
went home in cricket splint - 10th feb
stitches out - 23rd feb
commenced physio 5 days week - 1st April
bend to 88 degrees, walking slowly wirh cane - 20 May,
bend to 100 degrees -8 aug

shadehawk

Re: what exactly is tension band wiring?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 01:27:06 PM »
Sharon,

Hi, maybe this is what you are speaking about: 

http://www.wheelessonline.com/o2/1580.htm
http://www.wheelessonline.com/o2/1590.htm

Good luck,  ;)

Shade
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 01:43:39 PM by Shade »

Offline spacecadet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 05:06:14 PM »
Hi Shade!
 :)
Thanks for the reply! now i know what the hecks going on in there!
It's now nearly 5 weeks post op and i'm finding this board really helpful, theres not much else to do except my excersises!!

hope to maybe chat to u again..

thanks!

spacecadet x
stitches out - 23rd feb

Offline Dave G

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »
What exercises have they given u to do then ? had a PT session yesterday he got me in early cos another of his patients diddnt show then she shows up and has a go at me when I came out the room for taking her place (told her in no uncertain terms that if she had turned up on time then I would have been happy to wait misserable cow - sorry rant mode grrr could see the smirk on the faces of the reception staff though so I get the feeling that she isnt the most "reliable" of patients.

A little late on the rest of the info but 3 weeks is a normal time I had 10 days(stiches) then 3 weeks 3 weeks and now the next one is in 6 weeks. time flies after a while hard to believe ive been off my feet for so long. as for the spaces that will fill in with new bone growth over the next few weeks u will see the definition improving on the xrays as this happens.

out of pure curiosity how did you manage to break yours. I did a rather unspectacular fall in a car park into a corner of a kerb stone.

08 Jan 2005 Accident Patella Fracture 6 Pieces
09 Jan 2005 Operation (2x 1.5mm Wires 1x2mm Wire & Tension Band)
11 Jan 2005 Xrays  & Rebandaged Splited with Cricket Bat Splint.
13 Jan 2005 Allowed Home
20 Jan 2005 Followup & Stitches Removal.
09 Feb Slight Pain occasionally
Next appt 11 Feb

Offline spacecadet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 07:41:09 PM »
Hiya!
I'm only bending my leg 40- 45 degrees a few times a day, i haven't started pysio yet hopefully next week (not really looking forward to actually doing the exersices).
what exercises are you doing? does it really hurt?
it does seem so strange that only 5 weeks ago tommorrow, on my way to work as normal 7am, (with my boyfriend in the car and my puppy(luckily all strapped in- no injuries) i was hit head on by another car just before a bend, i had to be cut out of my wrecked car, although luckily i have absolutely no memory of it! I bet you really felt your injury when it happened!! he wasn't  insured, but i think he might be prosecuted.
thanks for reasuring me about the gaps inbetween the bones in my x rays, looking forward to seeing how its grown now! and my arm as that looked pretted smashed still on he last x ray. i really want copies of my xrays!

Thanks!
spacecadet x ;D
stitches out - 23rd feb

Offline Dave G

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
ok you got me wiht another post ... im determined to get to bed tongiht !

Exercises - Three main ones 1

1) Pressing knee down using the quad muscles in yoru leg towards the mattress and also flex your ankle so that yoru achilles tendon doesnt shrink
(its basically tensing the muscle groups)
2) Heel Slides - sitting down bend leg towards and then away rinse n repeat using a tray helps to reduce the friction
3) Straight leg raise (hurts) with leg straight lift heel from bed / sofa whatever (note try this in the bath the water reduces the weight and makes it easier) you will find this very difficult at first might take a week or two before you can do it
4) roll up a towel and put it under your leg so it bends slightly - then get your partner to support the leg and raise it then tense and lower slowly trying to hold it aloft.
(u can use your other leg to lift your foot if you need to)

Im sur that doesnt make much sense im tired so im giving up now ... but not unti i reply to the rest of the bits

Accident - I tripped and landed on the corner of a kerb stone - ow ow ow felt like a graze until i tried to stand up. but once i wa in the ambulance the scratch on my arm was giving me more pain ! how odd.

right stick a fork in me im done...  Keep smiling !

Dave

08 Jan 2005 Accident Patella Fracture 6 Pieces
09 Jan 2005 Operation (2x 1.5mm Wires 1x2mm Wire & Tension Band)
11 Jan 2005 Xrays  & Rebandaged Splited with Cricket Bat Splint.
13 Jan 2005 Allowed Home
20 Jan 2005 Followup & Stitches Removal.
09 Feb Slight Pain occasionally
Next appt 11 Feb

Offline spacecadet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 01:49:51 PM »
hi dave!

sorry for such a late reply - my internet is being temperamental!

cheers for the info on the exercises.. my quad muscles hare already disappeared totally!!
heel slides i suppose are what i'm doing now to 45 degrees (sitting on the sofa with my leg out stretched on the coffee table)
the straight leg raises are gunna be hardest, i cannot lift my leg at all yet - i won't try too hard until i've been told to by the docs!

we have a friend coming on sunday togive me a massage (he's a sports massur) cant wait cos my shoulder is really painful and stiff too cos of my broken arm, it's giving me the most pain sometimes and my shoulder isn't even injured! it's cos i'm not moving it much.

anyway, hope your doing well and not working too hard!  ;)

thanks,
spacecadet x  :D

stitches out - 23rd feb

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 03:43:58 PM »
Spacecadet,

Hope the massage works - good luck with the exercises.

Shade

support