Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Strange sounds, but no pain  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Ralf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Hi from DK
    • Ralf`s place
Strange sounds, but no pain
« on: December 17, 2002, 08:17:54 PM »
Hi

I have a odd problem, my left knee is making click sounds when I walk down stairs. It started about 8 months ago, after a long walk, and has since then been gradually more and more pronounced. The odd thing is, that it does not hurt, allthoug it sounds like, the knee is also inflamated.
I have since the sound started, continued my normal activities, wich aside from office work includes hiking, munaintaineering, climbing and skiing. And none of theese activities seems to have particular made the problem worse, my knee is just gradually making more and more sound. In the start I had to stand only on the left leg, while bending it, in order to provoke a click, now I only need to bend my knees, with euqual weight on both legs, in order to make a click.

Until 4 years ago I suffered from lower back pain, and my chiropractor found out, that my left leg was longer than the right. This was fixed with a heel lift, and since then I have had no problems with my back. But now this knee thing pops up, and I suspect that it might have something to do with the length of my legs. But why has&acute;nt this been a problem before, and why does it shows up 2 years, after the length of my legs, has been "corrected". The heel lift I&acute;m using is 5mm, wich is approx half the difference in the leg lenght, but it has been sufficient to correct the back problems.

I have also been seeing a physiotherapist, who found out, that the quad in the left leg (the long one), where much more thight, than in the right leg. And she meant, that the problem should be solved, by loosening the quad by stretching it. We did managed to stretch it, but it did&acute;nt solved the problem.

After the physiotherapist, I consulted a chriopractor again, but he also was&acute;nt able to fix the problem. And send me home with a message like "As long as it is not hurting, there is nothing wrong", wich is the same my doctor told me 6 months ago..

I know... all people make noises, like old cars... but I&acute;m 26 now, and I should mean that it&acute;s a bit early, to start having such problems, without any detectable source, or is it just me?

/Ralf

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Strange sounds, but no pain
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 09:25:37 PM »
I've also heard that you don't need to worry if your knee makes sounds but doesn't hurt. However, you're obviously worrying. And I don't blame you. Why not make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon, just to make sure?

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 11:44:09 PM »
I had this same situation for many years.  I stopped being concerned when it never developed into a painful siuation or limited my activities (aerobics, weight training, distance walking, gardening) and I had read this is fairly common. I didn't have knee problems until I tripped and landed on the kneecap, shattering it.  This was totally unrelated to the clicking sound.  Maybe it will be gone after the knee heals!
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 12:40:46 AM »
Ralf,
On the leg lentgth thing my left leg is 2 cm (20 mm) longer than my right leg (No lift in shoes to compensate as I have had this since I was 12 and injured my pelvis). It causes back problems etc but I live with these. The one problems it can and does cause is knee problems in the longer leg (left for me) as it strikes the ground 1st and harder as it is longer and takes up some extra force. It may be worth taking this up with your podiatrist or who ever deals with your leng length discrepency as it could be realted to the knee having to work harder.
Hope this helps a little
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Ralf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Hi from DK
    • Ralf`s place
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 09:40:45 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I will try to talk to my doctor, to see if he has changed his mind..

/Ralf