Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need some opinions and suggestions please  (Read 1148 times)

Offline inlettc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need some opinions and suggestions please
« on: February 25, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »
I am new, can't spell worth a darn, so please forgive any spelling mistakes. 
To start I have osteo and rhuematiod arthrits along with spinal stenosis.
Back in May, 2004 I started experiencing terrible, terrible pain in my left knee.  On the advice of my primary care Dr I went to see an othopaedic surgeon who told me I had injured my patella tendon.  He gave me a shot of cortisone, sent me for 2 weeks of physical therapy and told me I would be fine in 2 weeks.  When it was not better I called to see him for a second appointment, he refused to see me,  told me he must have been wrong, it was my back causing the pain, and told me to go see a back doctor.  Called my primary care Dr who referred me to an second orthopaedic surgeon.  Over the course of 2 months, surgeon ordered an MRI which only showed effusion.  He gave me several shots of cortisone, finially preformed arthoscopic surgery in October.  He preformed a micro-fracture on the knee, had me stay on crutches for nine days and then just told me to wait for it to get better.  Pain only got worse and in December surgeon suggested I go see my Rhuematoligist for Hyalgan shots (Surgeon did not give these.)  Rhuematoligist read the surgeon's report and refused to give me the shots.  Told me I better find another orthopaedic doctor to treat me as he would not touch my knee with a 10 foot pole, no other explanation.  Since that time I have tried to get into several orthopaedic surgeons.  After they read all of the reports and everything I have been through they have all refused to see me.  I am desperate.  The pain is so bad I cannot even walk around a grocery store to buy groceries.  I cannot stand for more than 10 minutes.  This pain is ruining my life.  My husband who has been wonderful is at the end of his rope over my condition.  I live in a very rural area of upstate New York, so I have to travel 2 to 3 hours to see any doctors. I am asking if anyone has any idea why other orthopaedic doctors refuse to see me, and does anyone have any suggestions what I can do next.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Need some opinions and suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 06:07:55 PM »
Welcom to KNEEgeeks, sorry you had problems enough to join us.

Sorry you've had so many problems.  The first thing I would do is get a copy your chart from both OSs, and the chart form the hospital, MRI results etc; then take those with you to your GP.  Ask your GP to go over the reports in areas that you might need help in understanding, and ask him why the OSs refuse to treat you.  Their must be something in the notes that is scaring them away.  You know that you are entitled to receive copies of all your records, from both the OSs and the hospital; you should be able to call and ask for them then pick them up with your ID.  Some places make you fill out the form first and show the ID then come back to pick up the information.

Have any of the Dr's ordered PT?  I would think that before surgery and definitely after you would need PT.

Keep us informed and know that you can always come here for support!

:D      H U G S   and   E N C O U R A G E M E N T   coming your way ! ! !     :D
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 07:22:11 PM »
I agree with Rozzie on everything... I'd get all the reports and get your GP to explain to you the things you need explained.  I also agree that you should maybe have some PT.  When you have surgery and especially when you are non weight bearing for any period of time even a few days you start to lose vital quadricep strength.   :-\  So if you are not in PT this might be a condsideration. ::)  Sometimes I know that surgeons don't want to touch a patient that they aren't sure what's going on, especially when other's have looked at you and turned you away as well.  You also have quite a collection of problems... which complicates anything anyone would try to do for you.. so maybe that has something to do with it. :-\

I wish you only goodluck from here on in...it's quite a struggle you've been through and hopefully someone is going to help you.

Welcome to Kneegeeks, and i'm sorry you're in need of being here, but since you are.. Welcome and hope you find support and maybe can offer some support to others.

HUGS and Lot's of luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline pweir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 07:58:22 PM »
I can understand your pain. I had arthoscopic surgery, two weeks ago for a torn meniscus and I also have a grade 2 MCL sprain. Well, the surgey has not relieved much of the pain and now I am developing a Bakers' cycst behind the injured knee. My car accident was 8 weeks ago, so I am really fustrated with my recovery.Is it normal to develop a cycyst after surgery? and should I start biking at the gym for rehab? ANy replys would be helpful.  Thanks, Pat

Offline pweir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 11:48:32 PM »
Please Reply -Desperate!!!   Pat

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 12:29:22 AM »
Hey Desperate PAt,

It isn't unexpected to develop a baker cyst after surgery. I developed one after my LR surgery in August.  Just so much fluid in teh joint it has no where else to go. GIve yourself time to heal, you've had surgery but you also had a car accident... so there is a few issues here.  Keep icing and elevating this should help with the inflammation.  And doing ankle pumps if you can to keep the fluid moving up the leg.

Goodluck,
Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline pweir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 03:45:06 AM »
Thank you, Linds  I really appreciate the kind words. PAT