Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: smashed knee 3 weeks ago  (Read 992 times)

Offline spacecadet

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
smashed knee 3 weeks ago
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:34:05 AM »
I unfortunetely had some idiot (no insurance!) collide head on with my car on the way to work about 3 weeks ago, leavingme with an open fracture of my radious and ulna (both plated) and an open fracture of my patella, i had to be cut free from the wreckage by firemen (apparently the police made him watch me being cut out before he was allowed to go into ambulance - he was uninjured) i have no memorys of the accident thankfully!
anyway, my knee was obliterated (surgeons words) and tension band wiring was used to fix it, it was either that or remove my kneecap, although some pieces were missing. my femur is also badly scratched/chipped.
since then i have had my leg in a cricket splint and can now remove it 3 times daily to try and bend at about 40 degree angle, which so far is pretty painless but extremely stiff and swollen,
i would like tohear from anyone whomay have a similar knee injury who can give me any advice or information on my possible long term prognosis and anything i cando to help myself.
my surgeon has only said that my knee has now aged 20 years and will be arthritic, and "will never be the same again"! i'm only 27 years old and have a brilliant active job working with dogs.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 11:36:59 AM by spacecadet »
smashed patella (& arm) in car crash - 3rd feb 05
wired knee (tension band) & plated ulna & radius - 3rd feb
went home in cricket splint - 10th feb
stitches out - 23rd feb
commenced physio 5 days week - 1st April
bend to 88 degrees, walking slowly wirh cane - 20 May,
bend to 100 degrees -8 aug

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
Re: smashed knee 3 weeks ago
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 09:57:39 PM »
Hi Spacecadet, Im really sorry you have had such a rough ride :-[
Even though you may not be able to claim on your car, you should be able to claim personal injuries through the Uninsured motor insurance bureau.  It wont help with your knee problem but a bit of financial help could be of benefit to you.

Good luck and keep your chin up,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline spacecadet

• Regular Poster
Re: smashed knee 3 weeks ago
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 12:54:23 PM »
hi heather!
thanks for your reply!
luckily my car was covered fully comp (even if my insurance has only offered 900 for it, when i paid 2000 last year!), we also have a good friend who is a accident claims solicitor who is helping sort out stuff, shes been brilliant!
i do worry about how long it will take to get back to work, i dont really have any idea how this injury will affect me, i suppose the docs have to give you the worse case scenario! im just quite down and worried that things will never be the same again, i'd never injured myself before or broken a bone so its all new to me..
i.m just so bored, not being able to DO anything!! :o
anyway, sorry to moan so much!! i could have been much worse off and broken both my arms and both my legs!!
thanks so much for the advice! ;D

smashed patella (& arm) in car crash - 3rd feb 05
wired knee (tension band) & plated ulna & radius - 3rd feb
went home in cricket splint - 10th feb
stitches out - 23rd feb
commenced physio 5 days week - 1st April
bend to 88 degrees, walking slowly wirh cane - 20 May,
bend to 100 degrees -8 aug