Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Been diagnosed 2 yrs ago, nothin' done, now have extreme pain  (Read 870 times)

Offline cantignorethepain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Been diagnosed 2 yrs ago, nothin' done, now have extreme pain
« on: February 25, 2005, 05:50:11 AM »
I have had an MRI done for my right knee. An ortho surgeon has diagnosed me to having a torn medial meniscis tear (a degenerative tear). He only advised 18 visits for physical therapy then do this at home. He seemed reluctant to help me in any other way. I have talked to other people who have the same exact diagnose but had immediate surgery with this same surgeon. I am an active female, I am an EMT, I do my exercises. My daughter (16) now has the almost ssame issue with her right knee. And that same surgeon dosen't want any type of surgery for her neither. Do you think I might be being discrimintated against ...maybe because of my husband's insurance policy for the whole family??  Well, now 2 years have passed and I have torked my knee to prevent slipping on ice at home. Now I have another appt. with same surgeon because of extreme pain and hard swelling. Do you think, NOW he will think of surgery to get this !!*%$ thing out of my knee area? Can you advise me of what I need to do at this point.

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
Re: Been diagnosed 2 yrs ago, nothin' done, now have extreme pain
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 05:52:10 AM »
He probably thought you wouldn't have been able to afford the surgery and it was possible for you to go on just after having physio for it.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 08:36:48 AM »
I hope this Surgeon helps you...that's really frustrating. Maybe you should try a second opinion, although I have heard with insurance etc in the US that's rather difficult sometimes.  Hopefully you can get something sorted out as not being able to do your job to the full extent due to pain isn't very fun.   I was under the impression that MOST meniscus tears would not heal on their own due to poor blood supply, so it surprises me that the Surgeon would just turn you away like that.
Goodluck and ask all the same questiosn you asked here when you see him again.
Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:18:40 AM »
There is a part of the meniscus that does have a blood supply where it joins the knee i believe at some point. If it was a small tear there it would have been able to heal itself. The rest is avascular (no blood supply)

support