Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Legs not in alignment  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Alexa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Legs not in alignment
« on: February 25, 2005, 01:48:05 AM »
I've had minor problems with my knees ever since college.  Nothing bad enough to ever see a doctor about (in my opinion), but general soreness, pain, popping many times a day, and once a year or so my right knee will pop/crack when standing up in a way that lets me know that someday it'll be giving out under the same circumstances.  A doctor did tell me about 10 years ago that I have loose joints and arthritis, so I've just attributed everything to those (and being out of shape).

I recently was looking at my legs, and noticed that my legs take a jog at the knee area.  My lower legs are a good inch--or more--to the outside my thighs.  It's in the knee area where the jog over occurs.  I know they have always been like this; I just one day realized that maybe not everyone's legs are like this.  I've since been looking at people's legs out in public (it's warm enough where I am that people wear shorts), on TV, and on the internet, and it looks like most people's legs are perfectly lined up.  I can tell visibly that my legs aren't lined up--it is obvious to the naked eye (do these forums support images?  I can probably even attach a picture for you guys to see).  I'm starting to wonder if my knee problems are related to this.  My question is, is it normal to have legs do an inch jog at the knee?  Is this going to cause me further knee problems?

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: Legs not in alignment
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 01:57:49 AM »
when you say "jog" do you mean they are bow-legged or knock-kneed? In other words, are they too close or too far apart?

In either case, yes this could lead to knee problems? Called varus or valgus allignment? And there is high tibial osteotomy surgery which corrects this?  Make sure to go see a top, top surgeon who does a lot of these as this is specialized surgery. 

Where do you live? Which country?

-Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **dumb knee**
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 02:00:06 AM »
My bad leg is like that. My phyical therapist told me one day cause he was just like "you do knoe your leg is crooked right???" I started freaking out then and when I went to the OS he was just like no your leg is fine (without looking at it. Now it maltracks so that is a possibility that that is one of your problems.

-kate-
1/04 twist knee figure skating
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me
1/05 get knee pushed into counter at school
2/05 MRI 2 and OS giving up on me
2/05 waiting for new OS spelialist on knees
******all on right knee******

Offline Alexa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 02:09:49 AM »
when you say "jog" do you mean they are bow-legged or knock-kneed? In other words, are they too close or too far apart?

In either case, yes this could lead to knee problems? Called varus or valgus allignment? And there is high tibial osteotomy surgery which corrects this?  Make sure to go see a top, top surgeon who does a lot of these as this is specialized surgery. 

Where do you live? Which country?

-Nick

They don't seem to be too close or too far apart (wouldn't a doctor have seen that when I was a kid?).  If I'm standing normally, there's not any bending one way or another.  The leg looks perfectly straight, just the lower leg is moved over an inch.

I'm in the US.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 08:42:42 AM »
It could be that you have some tibial torsion, as in your tibias (lower leg bones) are rotated outwardly. My knees do the same thing as yours and I have femoral anteversion and tibial torsion.My OS never really mentioned it but the TWO PT's I have now, they definately knew something was awry...but if your knees aren't too bad, I think you are probably okay. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... maybe you'd consider seeing a Physiotherapist. might be worth a try.
Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 03:22:20 PM »
Do your legs look like this?

I've got the same lovely look and didn't realize it til my last OS pointed it out to me and determined that was my problem.
cat

"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07