Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Swolen knee after kneeling on cement???  (Read 2545 times)

Offline gazoo001

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Swolen knee after kneeling on cement???
« on: February 25, 2005, 01:23:34 AM »
Hi there,

I was recently kneeling on some cement while renovating my house. The cement is a bit uneven and I think I must have bruised something on my kneecap.

The knee started to swell on the front (like an egg). I iced it and wrapped it and the swelling moved to the outside of the knee. Both the outside and front of the knee are sensitive (tender) but I think this is only the swelling causing this. My mobility is not impaired and it does not hurt to walk or run or jump other than the minor pain on the outside of the knee.

The swelling had all but gone today. I was bending (squatting low) and then noticed that the swelling had returned on the front of the knee. Any ideas? I do karate and it has not affected my motion or strength though I AM taking it easy and not going into deep stances. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My guess is I bruised it on the cement but thatís just a guess.

Thanks so much!!

Cheers,

Gil

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: Swolen knee after kneeling on cement???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 01:59:46 AM »
icing and elevating above your heart to reduce swelling a few times a day until swelling goes down is never a bad idea. 

I have no idea as to a diagnosis.

-nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline canadianbacon97

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Swolen knee after kneeling on cement???
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 01:32:04 PM »
Gil,

I am not a professional but it sounds like you may have prepatellar bursitis, aka housemaid's knee. It is basically a swelling of the bursa as a result of prolonged kneeling on a hard surface. The treatment is rest, ice, elevation and anti-inflammatories such as advil.

I would get it checked out anyways just to make sure nothing else is going on... 

Hope it feels better soon,

Laura
Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...