Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: microfracture and partial weight bearing with crutches  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
microfracture and partial weight bearing with crutches
« on: February 25, 2005, 01:01:09 AM »
I had a microfracture January 28th and am on crutches for six weeks.  I hit four weeks tomorrow.  I've had it with the crutches.  My hands hurt,  my arms hurt and my back and neck hurt.  I'm trying to talk my os into a cane.  They don't think I could partial weight bear with a cane.  In physical therapy today they tried me with a cane and the pt thinks I do okay partial weight bearing with a cane.  She's going to talk to my os tomorrow.  Has anyone had success partial weighting with a cane?

JAN
9-2002 medial menisectomy left knee
11-2003 lateral menisectomy and microfracture left knee
11-2003 fractured cartilage left knee
lateral menisectomy right knee 1-2005
microfracture right knee 1-2005
tkr left knee 1-2006
arthroscopy and lateral femoral chondroplasty 9-2006

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: microfracture and partial weight bearing with crutches
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:06:57 PM »
I also had microfracture (October '04) for a large lession on the weight-bearing spot, and was on crutches for 6 weeks. I then was put on a cane for 3 weeks as partial weight-bearing. I feel your pain about the crutches...they are horrible. I would stay on them for the 6 weeks though...at 4 weeks I was not near ready to go to partial weight-bearing. Just think...if it does not heal properly you will be doing it over again  :o
October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 12:58:43 PM »
I have had 2 microfractures. I was nwb for only 2 wks with the first one and it failed. with the second one, I was nwb for 6 wks, partial wb for 2 more and then a cane for 2 mnths. This one worked. I would stick with the crutches, even though they are a horrible pain in the  &*%. You really do not want to do this a second time.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 01:53:35 AM »
My os told me today I have to stay on the crutches.  So I'll just grin and bear it.  I have to weeks left on them.  You guys are right I don't want to go through the microfracture again.  But I do hate these crutches.  I have words with them from time to time.  This weekend I'm just going to try to stay off my feet as much as possible.

JAN
9-2002 medial menisectomy left knee
11-2003 lateral menisectomy and microfracture left knee
11-2003 fractured cartilage left knee
lateral menisectomy right knee 1-2005
microfracture right knee 1-2005
tkr left knee 1-2006
arthroscopy and lateral femoral chondroplasty 9-2006

Offline shightower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:43:11 PM »
You are doing the right thing to stay on the crutches. I had my microfracture in 95. Spent 6 weeks on crutches and then a couple of weeks on a cane. (The microfracture was the third surgery on the LK)

By following the OS recommendation I've had great results for the past nine years. I've been to Disneyland twice walking through parks for days with no ill effects, flyfishing Montana for a week, Alaska for a week, etc.

It's just been the past 6 months that I've had problems. Had last surgery 4 months ago for pain and knee locking. OS says the inside of the knee is pretty trashed at this point so we are doing TKR in May when my job will allow the downtime.

Good Luck and keep up the rehab and  exercises.

Sam H.