Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need opinions! Same pain as before surgery!  (Read 798 times)

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Need opinions! Same pain as before surgery!
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:46:22 PM »
I had this posted in the arthritis sections but moved it...

Well, I am 5 months post op and still have the same pain as before      I am starting to now wonder if the microfracture procedure failed. It hurts to walk on it and I am back to walking with a limp (and also using the cane for long walks).
Just some history:
34 YOA / Microfracture procedure for large OCD lession (weight-bearing spot) and also plica removal (?)...NWB for 7 weeks then partial WB for 2 more. Large lession that the OS claimed was too large to consider doing the cartilage graph using my own cartilage grown in a lab.
I go back to my OS in 2 weeks and he has already told me that if this failed then he would have to send me out to a OS that specializes in cadaver graphs. I do not want a cadaver graph...

What are some other options from people in similiar situations? Is a TKR in the near future for me?
October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: Need opinions! Same pain as before surgery!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »
TKR should be your last option.  34 is very young.  You should fight to preserve you joint is my opinion.

Check out a technique called Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation:  this is a two step procedure. 

Step: They scope you knee and assess the area of damage.  They also harvest a small sample from a non weight bearing part of your cartilage.  This harvest is sent to a lab and the cells are grown.

Step 2: roughly six weeks later an open (larger) incision is made.  A piece of periosteum from your tibia ( I believe?) is taken and this covers the damaged articular cartilage.  They then inject the grown cells under that flap and they allow them to grow into mature, regular (hyaline) cartilage. 

The rehab is demanding for this procedure.  More invasive and time consuming.  But it promises to givie you normal cartilage back and results so far have been promising.

Where do you live?

There are some surgeons around the country that do a lot of these.

-Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 01:30:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I live in VA. My OS claims he contacted a colleage at a large teaching university and also had opinions from other staff members, and they ruled out taking a sample and growing cartilage because of the size of the lession. The procedure you stated sounds slightly different from what he explained to me however. Whichever the procedure it sounds like I may be going to a specific OS that specializes in that type of surgery. I just want the pain to go away and be able to depend on my knee.
October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 02:01:27 AM »
that's what we all want.

You may want to travel to Atlanta.  There is a doc there called Scott Gillogly, one of the top ACI surgeons in the U.S. if you are looking into this procedure.

-Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel