Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nearly 2 years ACL Recon post-op - recent concerns  (Read 797 times)

Offline bmk007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Nearly 2 years ACL Recon post-op - recent concerns
« on: February 24, 2005, 07:16:39 PM »
Hello...I am new to this board, so I wasnt sure where to post this...

On May 8th, 2005, I will be two years post-op from ACL recon and meniscus repair in my left knee. My injury occurred playing indoor soccer.

I have been back to soccer for at least 5 months now. For the most part, I feel like I am fully recovered. Other than the fact that I still have some muscle atrophy, my knee seems stable.

However, over the last couple of weeks, my repaired leg has seemed very weak after soccer. It takes me a few days to feel normal again. The pain is hard to describe. The knee is stable, but the bones around it and my patellar area seem very brittle. It almost feels like my leg will shatter. The skin is very tender around and below my knee as well. I am so scared of reinjuring myself and having to go through everything again. I am trying to train for a community 4 mile run that will be held in early May, but I am scared to push myself and do some damage.

I know all of this sounds crazy, but I am just wondering if I should be concerned. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

L ACL recon (pt) 5/8/03
L meniscus repair 5/8/03
L meniscus removal 5/9/07

Offline c_soccer16

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Nearly 2 years ACL Recon post-op - recent concerns
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 07:41:41 PM »
Hey,

I'm about the same time post-op as you. I will be 2 years post-op March 14th. I started playing soccer again 6 months post-op without contact and about 1 year post-op I started playing full contanct. To be honest, there were times I felt weak, but until around 18 months I made sure I wore a brace. After getting the go-ahead from the surgeon I got rid of it. My leg returned to full strength but if I don't exercise regularly I lose quad strength extremely quickly in that leg.

To be honest, there are days when it is painful to touch, and I still feel where the tendon is missing so it's a very weird feeling. It's somethign that I had to get used to and gain confidence in. I'm getting more confidence in my knee everytime I play. Knowing that I can get hit in it or fall on it and it will be fine the next day starts to give you peace of mind.

If you are still feeling extremely weak in that leg I recommend you work on strengthening more and until you're comfortable wear a brace. Soccer is a demanding sport and you don't want to be playing unless you are comfortable with how strong it is. If you are going in cautiously afraid that it will get hurt, you are more likely to get injured because going into a tackle 50% means your legs going to give out, not your opponents.

As for the 4 mile race. I think that you can train for that successfully! I see no reason that you wouldn't be able to run, even if it's on a bit of an uneven ground. The training will help you for getting back into soccer too! Keep building up that strength and you'll get back!
2003 - L ACL reconstruction (Patella tendon)
2003 - L meniscus repair (2 darts and stitches)

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:44:15 PM »
It might not be a bad idea to go get it checked out for your peace of mind.  You didn't mention what type of graft you had, but if you had a patellar tendon autograft you may have some graft site morbitity.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline bmk007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes, I forgot to mention - it was a patellar tendon surgery.

I have been slowed down in my strength training over the last month, so that explains a lot.  It is just frustrating to think at times that the strength training will be something that I'll have to keep up with all my life.  At times I think I can just get to a good point and then I expect the leg to maintain that level of strength...obviously that isnt possible.

Thanks again.
L ACL recon (pt) 5/8/03
L meniscus repair 5/8/03
L meniscus removal 5/9/07

Offline c_soccer16

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 09:57:54 PM »
It sounds like we're in a fairly similar situation. I had the patella tendon graft as well almost exaclty 2 years ago (march)...I too have some muscle atrophy still which is frustrating considering the amount that I spend playing soccer and working out.

Good luck with getting back!!

Caitlin
2003 - L ACL reconstruction (Patella tendon)
2003 - L meniscus repair (2 darts and stitches)

support